Captivate 9 Poor Image Quality - Non-responsive, Using PNG

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw similar discussions about poor quality images as shown below:

1. Captivate 8 Poor Image Quality when previewed or published
  2. Captivate 9 Poor Image Quality

I decided to post a new topic because this situation is slightly different from those.

In my case I'm using Captivate 9.0.2.437, in a non-responsive design, plain ol' .png files, and I'm scaling the output on publish to both HTML5 and SWF, then linking my customer to the multiscreen.html file.

Here's my Problem:

I have a decently rezzed .png that, when previewing or publishing, comes out significantly blurry. The .png looks fine in Photoshop, the Bridge, opened in browsers, etc. It just looks awful when publishing out of Captivate, or when previewing.

Here's what I think caused the issue:

On my slide, I intended to show a thumbnail version of the image, then have that image show at full size when a button was clicked.

1. To create the thumbnail, I brought the image onto the slide from the library, and used the bounding box to drive down to around 75x75 pixels.
  2. After doing that, I brought in a second instance of the same image from the library, this time at its original image size.
  3. For the second, original image size graphic, I turned off its visibility using the eyeball icon in the Properties for the image so that an Advanced Action could Show it later.

This second, original sized image was giving the blurry problem, which I did not expect, and it took me about 45 minutes to test out enough to where I found the solution. I have four of these thumb/normal size image tandems on the slide, and I finally got it trapped down to a thumb-and-original-size showing a blurry original, and a thumb-and-original-size showing correctly.

Solution:

I simply trashed the .png file(s) in question from the Library. Then, instead of using two instances of the same .png file, I now have one copy of the image at the thumbnail resolution, and a second copy at the original resolution.

Everything is copacetic now. Hope this helps and saves someone some time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, you should add this useful info in a blog entry with a couple of screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution about having the correct size for each used image in Captivate has been posted many times as recommendations by experts on this forum. For the most recent version of Captivate, certainly for Responsive projects, I always recommend to use SVG's instead of bitmap images whenever possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources