• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Classic vs new Captivate

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I should consider whether to request my employer to upgrade me to the new Captivate.  I have found info on the new Captivate, but what I haven't seen is if the Captivate 2019/Classic files are compatible with the new Captivate.

Does anyone know please?

And if they are, I guess there will be a conversion process.  What doest that entail?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Clear communication isn't exactly a strong point.

Both versions are completely uncompatible!

There are multiple reasons but it is important for you that you'll never be able to open a project created with CP2019 in the new version. The good news is that you are able to continue using CP2019 (only version 11.8.2) along with the new version. If you want to have a responsive project (non-responsive is not available) in the new version you will have to create it completely from scratch. There is not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clear communication isn't exactly a strong point.

Both versions are completely uncompatible!

There are multiple reasons but it is important for you that you'll never be able to open a project created with CP2019 in the new version. The good news is that you are able to continue using CP2019 (only version 11.8.2) along with the new version. If you want to have a responsive project (non-responsive is not available) in the new version you will have to create it completely from scratch. There is not even a way to import assets to the Project Library because the new version has no Library (yet, I hope).

'Conversion' process means starting from zero. And look out for all what is unavailable in the new version besides non-responsive projects: question pools, Video Demo, 360° slides, advanced actions, lot of system variables (like the Movie Control category), Master slides, object styles, shared actions. Many hidden and exposed system variables which could be used in JavaScript are also unavailable. It depends on the type of projects you are used to create, but keep both versions for the moment. When you install 11.8.2 (updating CP2019) it will be renamed to Captivate Classic and get a new icon. You can then install the new version to explore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really useful.  Thank you so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure lot of Captivate users struggle with a similar question. Why not mark my answer as being correct for the sake of those users looking for an answer which is not available from the official channel? You have to know that I am always honest, and never post an answer without being sure. Reason why marketing people do not like me at all of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had read your posts before we upgraded. Now we have to back everything up to 'Classic'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am just a user, trying to communicate as clearly as possible based on my exploration and experiences. Marketing people don't like me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources