• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cp 12 Not possible to have just one image on a slide.

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had envisioned creating my content elsewhere and importing it into Cp 12 as a video, and intersperse quizzes, interactive elements, etc)

Some users (Stagprime, Liltbili) are advising that as much as possible I should consider creating the content within Cp 12.  So I am exploring the option of creating content within Cp.

A problem is that I can't create very much on the Cp slides, as I can in Keynote or PPTX. (Shapes, PNGs, etc). This is because Cp seems so very limited in what it can do as a slide-making program.

So then I thought about creating the visuals I want elsewhere and importing them into Cp in a "1-PNG-per-Cp-Slide" sort of way.

Trouble is, there is no way to have a Cp 12 slide be just one image--only images plus text, and only multiple images, at that. I understand we can "uncheck" the texr/title boxes, but I cannot find a way to get just one image on a slide, and to also have that image take up most of teh screen real estate in all three screen scenarios--desktop, tablet, and laptop.

I can submit a bug ticket on this, but before I do that, any users here have ideas or input?

-Lisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can fill the background of a slide with an image... did you try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri Lieve! That was a great idea! HEART HEART HEART, Thank you for your creative thinking!

If anyone else tries this, I noticed that I have to click "Fit" for the display of the image background. Otherwise it renders weirdly when you look at different views  (desktop, laptop, phone). It looks terrible on Phone Portrait View because it's jsut so tiny - but if someone did choose to take the course on their phone (which I hope they won't, but we just can't control that!) then at least they can put it to landscape view and it's not bad at all.

For me personally on my project, I believe this will be a great workaround for now - although I do feel that being able to have just a single image on a slide should be possible. One drawback to this workaround is that I do not seem to have control over the colour of the remaining backgroudn real estate. The program seems to default to a boring beige-grey. Any idea on how I could deal with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be wrong, but I thought to have proposed that already once in a thread, maybe for another user.

Some know me as the workaround queen... for Captivate.

Please mark  my answer as being correct, it may help other users. 

Of course I agree with most of your statements, but now I am a bit fed up for today with CP2023. I even forgot dinner (it is 8pm here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I marked your answer as correct - thank you! I did not know about that feature but I see how it is helpful. 

I must also go focus on other things for now today. I will re-visit Captivate again tomorrow.

Thank you again and have a wonderful night, Lilybiri Lieve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Lieve I am un-marking it as correct temporarily, until the single slide thing itself gets solved - your workaround is lovely but I also want to see if we can ge the Cp to work as it is meant to! I will mark it as correct again later, because it is helpful, once we also have a solution for the single-image slide layout! Thank you so much :- ) )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lisa, you can mark multiple answers as being correct, it is not limited to 1. There may be alternative solutions which can all be correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have a single image per slide but doing it is not intuitive by any means.

General process as I have discovered it.

1. Insert image media block (Not Image Grid)

2. Click on the "container" (not the image or the text)

3. Deselect caption and subtitle (only image should remain)

4. Select the image 

5. Go to Image Source and click the little folder icon

6. If you have an image on your PC select system

7. Browse for and select image of choice.

8. Select the "container" (not the image itself)

9. Under Alignment and Spacing you can play with the content width and padding as desired to size the image as you want.

That whole sizing thing is awful - would much prefer just keying in the dims I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a simple image that I wanted to put on the screen. It was only like 50 w x 65 h

Adding it automatically stretched it across the width and cut off the top and bottom so that my 50 w x 65 h was more like

50 w stretched to 1200 and only the middle 20 h of the pic was visible but stretched to like 200.

It took me several days to figure out how to have a simple image that should easily fit on my stage appear normal.

Even in a responsive project - I want certain things to have a fixed size regardless of the items around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed size makes no sense in responsive projects, but you should be able to keep the width/height ratio. That was possible in previous versions. I also pleaded to get the rulers back, in % but no way. Position Properties panel was inherited from the older Breakpoint views workflow for responsive projects in the Fluid Boxes workflow since version 11.6. That allowed also control in %. Now every control is lost. It just needs to be simple and easy, but from the multiple reactions that is not what every developer wants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed size makes perfect sense in some cases.

I will offer up navigation as an example.

I know that you and I both prefer not to use the built-in playbar - and instead - opt to create our own navigation.

Even with a responsive project - I maybe don't want some things to scale because they are appropriately sized on phone, tablet, or desktop.

If I size a next button for mobile - I don't want it to become super huge on desktop and likewise, if I size it just right for desktop, I don't want it too small on mobile.

Consider the following image - I think I should be able to have a simple Next and Back navigation system as shown such that the bottom container keeps my two buttons fixed while the rest scales and moves appropriately. I cannot do this simple thing.

Stagprime_1-1689192128218.png

But there are times when I may not want other blocks to adjust the same way. Maybe I just want the container to adjust it's height and width rather than everything in it as well. Things rearrange in the container and the container grows in length to accommodate but my text and images don't unless they would be larger than the width.

So my 400px wide image remains 400px on a 1600 w desktop and on a 600 wide tablet but only scales when we go to a phone at 380 wide.

I am cursed with the ability to make webpages responsive while fine tuning the behavior of each object on the screen individually if I so choose. I seek similar from my authoring tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Breakpoint views, which were dumped for Fluid Boxes, did offer that amount of control.  Advantage of Fluid Boxes were the continuous smooth decrease in font size when resolution changed, and that made the buttons (with labels) fine even when scaled down. That smooth decrease in font size is gone (as well) in the new Captivate. I just posted a blog about using a dynamic Next button in CP2019. In the new version not possible, it has become a Copy/Paste application (name I used to reserve for a concurrent tool).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple shots for example

I have a small graphic sized the way I like on mobile.

Stagprime_0-1689195416797.png

When I switch to desktop - it is too big.

Stagprime_1-1689195446059.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stagprime, and thanks for this. And BTW for others: I found that thesingle image slide option was a bit hidden--I had to dig a little bit to foind this option here:

singel image design.png

I was able to do what you said, but one problem I am still having is that there does not seem to be an option for "fit", as there is when one selects an image as a background (per Lilybiri's workaround--though I'd prefer to be able to use this one-slide option because it does come with titles adn text, etc, with one less step, if we can get it to work!)

Do you see anywhere how I can select "fit" so that the image doesn't get randomly re-sized according to desktop/laptop/phone?

Many thanks, anyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources