Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Created Quiz in Captivate 4. How can I create a report on Question Level

Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a quiz in Captivate 4. I would like to create a report on question level. for e.g., I'd like to determine the no. of users that answered wrong on specific question consistently. This helps us to go back and tweak the quiz to make it more learning friendly.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This is normally handled by virtue of installing a Learning Management System (LMS). You then upload the Captivate into the LMS and the LMS handles aggregating and keeping track of performance.

Captivate does offer an E-Mail reporting function, but it's far from reliable and not remotely secure. Additionally you would be forced to hand tally and track responses if you are fortunate enough for it to actually SEND responses.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick, Thanks for your response. Sorry I should have mentioned this, we do have LMS where I upload them. Unfortunately this LMS doesn't support Question Level reporting and was wondering if anyone out there has come up with a solution for this either inside Captivate or LMS settings. Thanks again, Cheers, John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While not a 'pro' with SCORM, I work with LMS integration often...

...if your LMS does not support interaction tracking, then there's no place for CP to send the interaction data.

We have one customer who's 'high-end' LMS did not support interaction tracking, so they hired a consultant and added it. It works...mostly...but if they ever want to upgrade to the next version of the LMS, they'll likely lose those customizations...

If you can sell the need to track interactions, which can be very valuable information, to management...maybe they can get you an upgraded or different LMS that does support such tracking.

One possible workaround is if your LMS supports objective tracking. You could possibly shoehorn the interaction data into the objective values...though I doubt CP would let you do that.

Overall, the best hope you have is someone who knows Javascript very well. I believe (and I could be wrong) that CP passes all values to JS functions in the parent HTML page, which then passes them on to the LMS API. At the point that the JS functions are called, you could intercept that and...do something else. Some folks have figured out how to pass that data to another web page, which then posts it to a different database setup for such tracking. I believe there's an article in the CP portion of this site somewhere on how to do that (perhaps by Andrew Chemey?).

HTH

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad that I am not the only one with this issue. As you have mentioned there are lots of workarounds out there.

To get any Authoring software and LMS to work seamlessly together is always a challenge. I will rest my case for now although keep an eye one terrific solution for this... John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am not mistaken Captivate stores all interactions and selections from the user in the SCORM field suspend_data. This is probably also stored in your LMS so the data actually exists. I don't know which features your LMS have but if you could export the suspend_data manually then you would have the data you need.

It would be a totally manual process though and to filter through all the data in suspend_data will be a real pain.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 02, 2009 Oct 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you may be right. I recall a discussion I had a bit ago with an Adobe Engineer on the CP team about how their suspend_data field was often far too verbose and projects with lots of questions could overflow this field and/or result in a loss of data tracking...and I believe the reason was too much info was being saved in this field - like interaction data, which should be saved in the interaction fields...

So maybe by virtual of CP doing things...wrong, that may help...though as you say, extracting and sorting that information is surely a chore in itself!

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources