• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating training videos from screen captures?

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

Is it possible to create interactive videos from a series of screen captures. I understand the preferred method is to use Captivate to record a session, however, all my software walk throughs are created in a VM and installing Captivate inside a VM is not always practical.

In the past, when I worked with RWD uPerform, I captured static screens using a really good/free tool called Gadwin screen capture. Once completed, I could add these screens into RWD, select clickable areas and RWD would do the rest by simulating clicks, motions, etc.

Is this possible in Captivate?

Thus far, my experience with Captivate involved doing direct recordings, in a manner similar to Camtasia.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Hi there

If you are seeking a smaller footprint (read mobile or possibly portable) version of Captivate, please request same using the Wish Form. Adobe development does pay attention to these. If enough folks request something or report a certain issue, it gains a higher priority on the list of features or fixes.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camtasia and Captivate are not working in the same way at all. Camtasia is IMHO the best software for what is called 'Full motion recording', it is recording like a video of what happens on the screen, and excels in this form of recording.

Captivate can do FMR (not as well as Camtasia) but is the tool if you want to create interactive trainings. If not necessary it will avoid FMR and make screen captures (somehow as you described) which makes it far more easy for editing, such as adding captions, click boxes, zooms, images, video, audio, changing the timeline etc. And it can automate quite a lot of work for you such as adding hints, succes and failure captions. It is possible to have branchings in your CP-movie based on reactions of the user. You can make assessments with Captivate, not only the regular question slides, but also an assessment that tests techniques in software applications (again taking up quite a lot of editing work by automating). Only when necessary, p.e. while moving, dragging with a mouse, Captivate will revert temporarily to FMR, and insert this "video" on a CP-slide. And all will be published in SWF-format. Those files will normally not be as large as the Camtasia-files, because of the different approach, slides instead of video.

Hoping that this explains the difference somehow. I would certainly recommend that you give CP a try, there is trial (full working) available as download on the Adobe site. If I have made the right interpretation of your question, I believe this is the tool you are looking for.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Although I probably should not have confused my question by including a Camtasia reference.

I do understand that Camtasia does full motion recordings. However, I wasn't entirely sure how Captivate handled screen recordings. Upon further inspection, I now understand that it works exactly in the same manner as RWD uPerform.

So, I can assemble my own videos with screen captures.

The only thing I could wish for is a smaller foot print (capture only) light version of Captivate... that way, I could do screen recordings within VMs, without having to install the full version.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you are seeking a smaller footprint (read mobile or possibly portable) version of Captivate, please request same using the Wish Form. Adobe development does pay attention to these. If enough folks request something or report a certain issue, it gains a higher priority on the list of features or fixes.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Done! I sent in a feature request.

Too bad such a light recorder version didn't already exist.

Another solution would be to use the unity function in VMWare, however, this feature doesn't work when a VM is part of a team. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources