• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Determine TOC and skin pixels of published file--how to?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am developing some movies in Captivate that I want to play (load and unload as swfs) in Flash. I know the size of the Captivate stage, but how do I determine the amount of pixels to add to the Flash file to cover the skin and Table of Contents (TOC)?

I see a setting in the skin that allows me to set the pixels at the bottom of the skin--I set it to 31 pixels. Is the top automatically 31 as well? And I can't find anywhere how I can set or just tell how wide the TOC will be.

Hope someone can help here. Checked several postings and don't see this issue.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Hello,

It is certainly somewhere in these forums. In the present version of CP (you are using CP4, since you are talking about the TOC) you cannot change the width of the TOC: it has always 250pixels for the width. If you are using the Separate option for the TOC, those 250px will be added to the width of your captured movie, if you are using the Overlay option, it doesn't change the width.

In CP4, if you are using the horizontal playbar  (I prefer navigation by the TOC) it will add about 30 px to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Cherie Ann,

I am not sure if this will help you but your TOC dimensions are determined by your stage size plus (I believe) the text in the TOC.

You already know the height of your TOC (which is the same as your stage) but my recommendation for the width would be to measure it using a graphics editor (do a screen capture of the preview).

My courses are designed with the TOC in Overlay style, and because of that, I don't concern myself with the TOC taking up valuable screen space.

In regards to the skin border, the number of pixels is determined by the type of playback control (I don't use this) and number of pixels set in the border width (I set mine to 4 pixels - that is a total of 8 pixels top/bottom and 8 pixels left/right). Since I am not using playback controls, my stage only has a padding of 4 pixels on each side.

There may be a better way to determine the width of the TOC and if there is, hopefully someone will share.

I hope some of this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful idea about the screen shot! Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all

For what it's worth, there is an amazing little tool you can purchase for a very reasonable fee that will allow you to measure things on your screen. The tool name is "Screen Calipers" and you may look it over using the link below:

Click here to visit the site

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It is certainly somewhere in these forums. In the present version of CP (you are using CP4, since you are talking about the TOC) you cannot change the width of the TOC: it has always 250pixels for the width. If you are using the Separate option for the TOC, those 250px will be added to the width of your captured movie, if you are using the Overlay option, it doesn't change the width.

In CP4, if you are using the horizontal playbar  (I prefer navigation by the TOC) it will add about 30 px to the height of your movie, since the playbar is always outside of the movie (contrary to previous versions). Thas is what you are speaking about, I believe, you see this in options for the Borders. For the default playbar this is indeed 31px. Top, left and right borders are not there in the default settings. If you add them, you can also choose the width of these other borders. The bottom border is that thick because of the presence of the playbar in this border. I believe, if you add the other borders, you will not like the look of those thick borders and reduce them to perhaps 2-5 pixels, so much less pixels will be added.

Hope this clarifies something?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks. I am used to other programs where I can set the TOC width, and didn't see the inform

ation in the Captivate help files.

So if it is always 250 pixels, I'll go with adding that width. I did see how to change the option for the playback bar.

Thanks again.

Cherie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources