• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I assign a value to cpInReviewMode?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a replay button that completely resets the quiz before jumping to the first slide. I've use suggestions from the forum and I found that the javascript command cp.resetQuizData(); in and advanced action effectively clears out any replies to the quiz questions. What it doesn't do is reset the value of cpInReviewMode. That means that if students review the quiz questions from the results screen, then decide to replay the course, they can't attempt the quiz questions again.

I tried adding a line to the advanced action to assign a value to cpInReviewMode to reset it. Unfortunately, cpInReviewMode doesn't appear in the drop down list of variables that appears with the Assign function. Is there another way to reset the value of this variable?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quizzing system variables are all read-only. Have a look at:

Using Quizzing System Variables - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick reply.

I suspected that the variable I was trying to reset was read-only. But, isn't quiz data read-only too? I was hoping there might be a way to initialize cpInReviewMode using javascript in the same way that quiz data is cleared using cp.resetQuizdata().

Years ago, Authorware had an Initialize() function that could be used to reset the values of selected variables, including read-only system variables, when manually restarting a course. I hoped there would be a way to do that with Captivate too - reset variables without having to exit the lesson and start again from the LMS. Perhaps this is a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to use JS, but I never use it for your use case, I just enable the Retake button, it will reset all quiz answers as you wanted. What is wrong with that? If you want to allow them to Review before Retake, with the present setup for Review, that means you encourage your learners to write down the correct answers, and pass the quiz without proving any understanding (have been a professor for a long time). You can create a custom Review slide (have a blog post about that) to give them a limited review, without showing the correct answers, and then let them Retake the quiz.

Authorware was a great application, but cannot remember if it was compatible with SCORM requirements? Too long ago. I don't even remember why it was killed. Lot of better applications were killed for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You make some good points.

In my courses, I use the quiz questions as knowledge checks. They're intended to provide the students with a way to verify that they understood the content. The score on the results screen isn't used to determine a student's competency; that's done with a separate exam. The score is there for those students who like to keep score. So, I'm not concerned if the student knows what the answers to the questions are if they decide to repeat the lesson.

Having said that, I want to provide students, after they've completed the lesson, with an opportunity to review the quiz questions and to repeat the entire lesson, if they want. The question review shows which concepts they didn't grasp fully. When they repeat the lesson, they can revisit and pay more attention to those topics. I guess I should mention that I'm not designing for an academic setting. I'm providing training to people who are generally motivated to learn and understand what is being taught.

The reason I want the questions to be active when they restart the lesson after review their answers, is that I want students to begin with a blank slate, without any remnants of previous attempts.

I'll continue looking for a JS solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, go ahead and wait for a JS solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the questions only as Knowledge Checks, it sounds to me like maybe you should just be using Knowledge Check Question slides for those instead of normal quiz question slides.  KC slides don't store their results as quiz scores.  So they get reset each time the student leaves the KC slide.  You could still get them to 'report' a score as a variable value by simply using the KC slide's On Success actions to increment a User Variable.  But then you wouldn't need to worry about resetting the questions when the quiz finishes.  You could reset the User Variable just by using a simple Assign action.  The real quiz questions would come later.  Would that achieve your goals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No review, Rod. It has to be JS. Custom Review slde is not OK neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've only recently become aware of the Knowledge Check question type in Captivate. When were they introduced?

I'm not sure if I would be able to switch to those since our client's expectation of how the questions behave collectively was set by courses developed with earlier versions of Captivate that didn't offer that question type. I'm almost half way through the project and it may be too late to switch question behaviour at this point.

Until now, the replay button in our courses simply jumped to the first slide. When I discovered that it was possible to reset quiz data, I thought that would be a nice feature to include. Then I stumbled on the behaviour that occurs of you review the questions before choosing to replay. So, I'm actually looking for a solution for a situation that our students may never encounter.

If I were to start from scratch, on a new project, I would definitely look more closely at using the knowledge check questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KC slides were new in CP9. There is no Review mode. More in:

Knowledge Check Slides - tips - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Client's sometimes are willing to go with a change if they can see that it would solve a significant problem.  Basing an entire elearning design (or a solution to an elearning problem) on something about your authoring tool that no longer applies (e.g. the absence of KC slides as an option) is never going to give you the best end result.

However, if all of this is only about trying to solve an "edge case" situation that has very little possibility of happening, sometimes the better option is just to educate the learner about what NOT to do instead.  Then it has even less chance of happening and when it does you can point out the instructions where you told them NOT to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely with both points you have made. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quizzController = cp.movie.playbackController.GetQuizController();
quizzController.SetIsInReviewMode(1);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can see, this works a treat!
Set the value to 0 if you want to reset the quiz so it appears as normal.

Cheers - saved me a bunch of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just digging into that QuizController is awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources