• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add an hour long mp4 to a slide?

Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have 60+ mp4's that I need to create individual SCORM files for. I can add the videos to Captivate, and sometimes they play when I preview them in HTML5, and sometimes they do not. I cannot seem to find a pattern of why they will or will not play. I need to create 60 SCORM files each containing one video. I am unable to break up the video in anyway, is this possible for me to do? Can someone PLEASE help me with this. I have been trying to get this to work for too long! Thank you!!

TOPICS
Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask a couple of questions?

• How did you create these MP4 files?
  • If they were not created with Adobe software, have you tried re-encoding them through the Adobe Media Encoder?  Sometimes that can make the files more compatible with other Adobe software applications such as Captivate.
  • How many megabytes are each of these video files?  If they are very large files and you are loading them into Captivate as download videos rather than streaming videos then that might explain why you have having playback issues.  
  • Would you consider uploading your videos to a streaming service such as YouTube or Vimeo and just linking to them from within Captivate SCORMs?  That would likely give your end users a much better user experience because the streaming server will adjust the video format to accommodate the end user's available bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the response. Here are the answers to your questions:

• I'm not sure how the mp4's were created. They were given to me from a client.
  • I am trying Adobe Media Encoder now. I do not think they were initially created using it.
  • The files are VERY large. They range in size from 1GB to 4.8GB. 
  • The completed SCORM files are going to be viewed in a location that has limited access to streaming anything. So I'm not sure if uploading them to a streaming service would work for the end user here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Adobe Media Encoder also to try to decrease the file size by changing settings for resolution and quality (video and audio). Without a streaming service the learners are in for long waiting times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At between 1-5 gigabytes in size your video files are certainly way too large. Certainly not practical for delivery of a SCORM e-learning course. 

Usng Adobe Media Encoder might potentially reduce the file size somewhat (especially if you can also reduce the physical height and width of the videos) but it is not going to be the answer.

I know you said you are unable to break them up into smaller files. But without having the option of using streaming, breaking these huge files into smaller ones is going to be the ONLY way you can improve performance and avoid placing an intolerable load on your LMS.  

The problem here is not Captivate.  It's the sheer size of your videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources