• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make it so user has to click all buttons on the slide, read the pop up then can continue?

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm building a course for my employer. It's my first time using Adobe Captivate CLASSIC. I've tried watching many youtube videos but can't seem to find the answer I need. 
I have a slide with 3 buttons, once those buttons are clicked a pop up takes over the screen and provides the user with the information intended. User can then click the cross in the corner to exit, and go into the next button/pop up with information. 

I need help figuring out how to make it so user must click all 3 buttons to then proceed onto next slide. ( continue button is currently set to appear after a certain amount of time in hopes user with use that time to click on the buttons) Continue/Next button will show once all other buttons are clicked. 

For some reason i can't access 'Change state of' in advanced actions either? 

I'm new to learning all this but usually a quick learner once explained properly.

Any help is greatly aappreciated. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rkQB_HZ2S8 

This is the video I followed to achieve my current process.

TOPICS
Advanced , Advanced actions , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You want to have a Forced View.  I know that many users request this but personally I don't like this for an adult audience, because it takes away control of the learner. Sorry, that is my professor's history talkin, I will answer your Captivate question, just provided you first with the term used for the workflow you required.

Personally I have two shared actions in the Library which I use all the time for any project:

• First shared action will create automatically enough variables to be used.
  • Second shared action has a couple of parameters and can be applied to as many buttons as you want.
  • The On Enter action for the slide defines the number of buttons (or flip cards or similar interactive objects) you want to be clicked before the Next button appears.

Do not panic, I understand that I was talking in a completely strange language at this moment. I will try to explain an alternative as simple as is possible but only for your specific situation. I have lot of blog posts about Forcing views, but sorry if you are expecting a video. Videos are great for showing one particular workflow, but rarely explain the reasons for choices. You already heard about my past... My students called me 'Mrs Why'.

There are many ways to create popups, easiest is with multistate objects if you are on a non-responsive project. But I will not elaborate on that part, I suppose you already have advanced actions for that. Shared actions would be better but that video creator rarely uses them as I expect them to be used.

Step-by-step

1.  You'll need one user variable for each button, I will label them v_1, v_2, v_3 since you have 3 buttons. They will be used as Booleans, and their start value should be 0. 
  2. Add the Next button to the slide, but use the On Enter event of the slide to 'Hide Next button'. Replace 'Next button' by the label of your button.
  3.  I don't know the advanced action you use at this moment, but you'll have to extend it:
            If you have a non-conditional decision, add the command 'Assign v_1 with 1' to toggle the Boolean variable to 1. For the two other buttons this needs of course to be edited.
            You have to add a conditional decision to each of the advanced actions, which will be the same for the three buttons :
                IF v_1 is equal to 1 AND
                     v_2 is equal to 1 AND
                     v_3 is equal to 1
                Show Next button

Sequence of the decisions is very important, the conditional one needs to be after the non-conditional one. If you show me the advanced action you are using at this moment, I may offer you a screenshot of the action after the editing I just explained.

Learn more about the features of the Advanced Dialog box in:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/advanced-actions-dialog-box-in-captivate-2017

The blog post to which I pointed with the shared actions:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/tips-and-tricks-advanced-to-shared-action-intermediate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Thank you for taking the time to send some advice. 

I've provided screen shots of what advanced actions I have related to one of the buttons. All buttons are separately set up like this. 

This provides the user with the pop up and exit out of pop up function. I'm just looking for a way to do 'read all pop up's', then the next button appears. 

katiew3_0-1695694565187.png

katiew3_1-1695694589453.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to read my proposed solution?  Of course you already have user variables, but since you use them to check the status of the popup (visible or not), you cannot just add a second decision with the condition I described. 

It would be bad to need another user variable. What are those popups exactly?  Are they in the same location? They are not states in a multistate object, which is a pity. Did you read the blog posts I gave you a link? From the fact that you don't use the Preview view for the Advanced action, I would say No. Use this button to see the Preview, which makes reading an advanced action much easier since you see both THEN/ELSE and all decisions in one view.

PreviewButton.PNG

Can I see a screenshot of the Advanced Interaction panel (F9) with the On Success column expanded to be able to read the actions involved. Another screenshot of the Timeline for this slide could help me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

katiew3_0-1696456772602.png

katiew3_1-1696456864654.png

katiew3_2-1696457558334.png

I've had a look through the link's you have sent me but unfortuntly don't understand a lot of it. Have i set up the buttons wrong ? Is there a different way to set up the buttons? I'm very confused. 

I've have trried to provide as much context and info as possible (had to blurr out a bit for privacy reasons). Am I on the right path? If not are you able to walk me through step by step. 

I have a bunch of slides that have this same type of layout, buttons, pop ups,  and need to click them all before continuing. So any help is welcomed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever take any training for Captivate? Especially the more advanced features like advanced and shared actions need some learning time. Especially the shared action is very versatile because I use it all the time in multiple scenarios. It is one of the actions in my shared actions library which I can open in any project as external library. It doesn't matter if you are using shape buttons, or images as buttons .

Looking at the timeline you provided I wonder why that slide is so long and why you took out all pausing points? What is pausing this slide to allows the learner to click without having the playhead proceed to the next slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had training, no. My employer asked me to build this course on Adobe Captivate Classic and so I am trying to do that. I'm just watching youtube tutorials to try and navigate on how to do things. Hence why I have the pop up situation set up the way I do, I just  watched the video previously provided in this thread and hoped for the best haha. 

I have the slide action on Exit set as pause. So I believe the slide pauses and doesn't continue on, not until the user clicks on the continue button that pops after after a few seconds. 

I've probably gone about it all wrong. 

Is there anyway to achieve what I first asked in this thread with the way things are set up now? Or am I better off starting again from scratch? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The On Exit event of a slide is not to be trusted to trigger any action because it occurs after the last frame. It would have been better to keep at least one pausing point on an interactive object, or have all of them occur at the same frame.

You are one those 'believers' in the almighty YT? I don't deny that a JIT video can help in some circumstances. However I would never drive over a bridge created by an 'engineer' who got her/his training on YT, not would I enter a plane where the pilot claims the same.There is no curator on YT, it has some good resources but there is also a lot of crap around. For Captivate you need to understand at least the basics. Most videos are limited to a very specific situation, and it will be difficult to use them when something is not exactly the same. The reason for choices rarely are explained.

From your screenshots I guess that all buttons (any type) have been set up with Infinite Attempts. Correct?

I see Hide and Show actions, personally I would replace those by using a multistate object for the popups, so that you can use a State change. Have a look at:

https://blog.lilybiri.com/tip-3-show-slash-hide-or-multistate-object-advanced-slash-shared-actions

The On Enter action seems to be used to Hide the Next button. Is that Next button an individual instance on each slide or did you put it on the first slide, timed for the rest of the project?

For the Back button you use 'Last Slide Visited', which also can become an issue. Why did you choose that action? It would mean that you course is not linear?

For the Back button 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources