• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to specify fallback fonts

Guide ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to specify fallback fonts for Captivate projects published using Typekit fonts?   How are the fallback fonts set? A workaround would be welcome.

Can probably get away with it for actual project I'm working on, but future projects (all responsive) will continue to use web-fonts and client has requirement for fallback fonts.

[Captivate 2017, release 10.1.0.285; Responsive Fluid box project, Mac OS 10.13]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm aware of, no possibility to have a fallback font for missing glyphs.  You are in a responsive project, with Fluid Boxes or with Breakpoint views?  I cannot imagine a situation for an eLearning course where a fallback font is needed?

Are you on 10.0.1.285?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, 10.0.1.285, and fluid box project. Sorry forgot to mention that (will update in original post).

The request is most likely related to client network not providing access to typekit (firewalled), and as a result the project displays in some random font with super bad kerning, which triggered the resulting request for fallback font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround I have been using in the past for projects with that kind of problems, is to convert all static text containers to images (bitmap or SVG). That is not possible however for dynamic text (containing variable values).

You are the first to request fallback fonts in Captivate, I'm around here since 2009, daily

BTW that random font used to be Times New Roman all the time, did you see another font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lilybiri I'll need to consult with client, and see if I can get a screenshot and share it here to confirm what font is being displayed.

Conversion to images is indeed not an option (project needs to meet WCAG 2.0 AA compliance standard), and not feasible for fluid project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, forgot you were in fluid boxes….not in breakpoint views.

Once the course is published to a server/domain specified in Captivate, there shouldn't be a problem for the Tk fonts. I don't understand the problem about the firewall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try over-riding the CSS that Captivate creates by adding  the

font-family: typekit font, fallback font 1, sans serif  !important

to the CSS. You will just need to figure out what styles to override.  https://html-online.com/articles/overwrite-inline-styles-css/

OR

Or you could search and replace the CPM.js file and add them there.

search for:       font-family: typekit font

replace with:   font-family: typekit font, fallback font 1, sans serif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I looked through all the .css files originally, but couldn't find reference to font there. But CPM.js file is helpful: Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources