Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import transparent video in Captivate

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2016 Oct 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I know this question has often been asked, but is it possible to matter in a transparent video in Captivate? I found tutorials showing that, but it was on the old version of Captivate and especially with a .flv file, but now it is no longer possible to export this way on After Effect, therefore I am forced to use a "Quicktime" file.

There is any alternative ?

Thank you

TOPICS
Advanced , Audio and video

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested in the browser and it is playing correctly.  Haven't tried it on ipad but any movies that don't play on ipad on utube in safari will play in puffin which is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the computer, its the browser.  Apple Operating Systems don't support FLV video. IF you are running something other than an Apple OS, it should work fine ( for example Parallel, which emulates a Windows OS on an Apple system.. I think).

I just wanted to alert you that many of your users may not be able to view it... that is all. 

Merry Christmas !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well that is a concern to me.  I guess I will have to upload it and test in different browsers then.  It works on my mac in google chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nearly forgot about xmas as I've been concentrating on this project so much.  Merry Christmas to you as well.

Kind regards,

riesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested this as I found I still have Media Encoder CS6 on my mac... took me a while to find the option to check the Alpha channel.

But it does work in the latest version of Safari. I think it's just iOS devices that don't run flash. Never had any issues with flash on any OS X computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing is the transparency from the apple pro hi rez runs on adobe premiere so I can overlay the video on other things there if i want as well.  But i prefer it to stay transparent in captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy new year!  Thanks for testing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to say the method works fine. I can make a transparent flv file that i can import to captivate with an animation and no background and it plays fine on all the browsers I have seen it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:
1.- I exported a MOV with After Effects, the export codec was Apple Animation (proRes didnt worked) 
2.- I ensured the alpha channel was there by importing back into After Effects.
3-  I used Sorenson Media Squeeze https://www.sorensonmedia.com/squeeze/
.- I imported the file, and used the FLV export option.
5.- I customised the export setting to ensure the "compress alpha data" was active, and the codec was  On2 VP6 Pro. (I used 2 pass VBR) no sure if needed, and profile was VP6-E.
6.- Exported using the "Squeeze it" button, and then importing in Captivate using the proper settings to remove the background of the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, as was discussed earlier in this thread, FLV isn't a viable option these days, because it forces the browser to play the video using Flash, which is all but banned in a corporate setting, and not available at all on Apple devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to believe that this thread is this long and the answer is to use the Flash Player to enable transparent video, which was stated very early.

With the animation capability of jQuery/HTML5, that would be the direction I would go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, then at least give some hints or propose something, maybe a link to a tutorial page?
The title of the topic is clear... "import transparent video in Captivate" maybe this discussion is getting long because nobody is actually even trying or reading any documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do animation, you need to be familiar with jQuery/JavaScript to some degree. It can easily be timed to audio also using the ontimeupdate event listener.

http://jqfundamentals.com/chapter/effects

I'm not here to teach anyone how to use technology, just making suggestions on which technology to use to achieve the desired result.

I write external code to control Captivate all the time. I can make it do things that Captivate itself can't do. I also code HTML and JavaScript pages to insert into Captivate for things like animation and drag and drops.

Don't know what you mean about nobody is even trying or reading any documentation?

Captivate itself is an IDE and whether you can import a transparent video or not is not really an issue. The issue is that it can only export the content 2 ways: HTML or SWF. Only the SWF export allows transparent video. So if a browser/system doesn't have the Flash Player, the end user will not be able to see the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it has been repeated several times on this forum: FLV supported transparent video, but is not abandoned in favoir of MP4 video which doesn't suppor transparency by default. Problem is that the Search functionality of this forum is very bad, resulting in many users not to bother about it and to repeat the question multiple times. Moreover, especially if you get into a thread from the eLearning portal, lot of users don't bother about reading what has already been answered. I see many answers repeated by different authors.

Please do not insult experts like TLCMediaDesign who spend free time to help out users with his amazing JS expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm not insulting nobody, maybe I should add this at the end of each sentence, to look more social.

I think, as user of the forum, that will work better if the people stick to the question instead of lecturing about potentially unrelated problems... the question was clear.

Read carefully the original question:

" I know this question has often been asked, but is it possible to matter in a transparent video in Captivate? I found tutorials showing that, but it was on the old version of Captivate and especially with a .FLV file, but now it is no longer possible to export this way on After Effect, therefore I am forced to use a "Quicktime" file."

My solution was to find another encoder that produces the still supported FLV... and I spent some time testing it myself.

Could be problem if you export for browser, due Flash being deprecated, and company environments?, yes potentially... but wasn't part of the question, and definitely not part of the solution. simply another topic.

The funny contradiction here, is that my disappoint was related to user who writes in the forums without bringing solutions and making difficult to actually find something useful... and here I'm contributing to the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now trying to do this and FLV is gone completely form media encoder, did anyone find a solution??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have answered you in the original thread. FLV was based on SWF technology, since Flash player is dead you can only import mp4 video which doesn't support transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So there is absolutely no way at all to do this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources