• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looping GIF doesn't loop in Captivate 9

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a GIF that I downloaded from a image/animation site. It's set to loop. I imported it into PPT and it worked fine - kept looping. However, when I import it into a Captivate 9, it doesn't loop - just runs through one time.

Any ideas why? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

Michele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that you didn't get any answer. I had the same experience (looping GIF created in PS), but I tend to replace animated GIF's by OAM's, so didn't bother too much to find out the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. What program do you use to create the OAM? Can you convert a GIF to an OAM?

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michele,

Are you publishing to SWF or HTML5? Is it with only a particular GIF or any GIF?

Thanks,

Mohana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mohana,

I hope Michele will answer as well. But I had the experience with non-looping GIF's both in SWF and HTML output, normal and responsive projects. I create them normally in Photoshop, with a minimum duration for frames of 0.1sec. Looping worked in CP7 for SWF output, do not remember for CP8.

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hi, right now, I am only publishing to HTML, but eventually I also need to publish to both HTML and HTML5.

I've tried with a few pre-existing GIFs that I did not create.

Thanks

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info Lieve.

Michele,

Can you share a few sample GIFs which you tried with, so we may accurately reproduce your issue on our end?

You can send them to mdas@adobe.com

Thanks,

Mohana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohana, I just sent three GIFs to you via email. Thanks for your help,

Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there's any update on this?

I'm on Captivate 8 and have the same issue.

In the end I just created the animation I wanted in Animate CC and published as a swf animation (I was publishing to swf rather than HTML5).

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Animate CC you could also have pubished as OAM, which is a HTML animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that still work in a published SWF or only HTML5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, OAM works in both outputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having trouble with this today, using Captivate 9. Very frustrating, my colleague suddenly realised that if you select the animation, under the 'timing' tab there is an option to 'loop'. Select this and the gif loops perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting an animated GIF to loop continuously in Captivate output isn't actually a problem.  As noted by other users, all you have to do is select the Loop option on the Timing tab.

However, I have just discovered that in HTML5 output it seems to be impossible to have an Animated GIF that is set up to only perform 1 iteration to stop at that point and NOT loop continuously.  The same animated GIF will work as expected in SWF output and in any web browser, but NOT in Captivate's own HTML5 output.

I've checked the GIF in several different programs (Photoshop, Animate, Fireworks) and all confirm that the GIF is set up properly to only perform ONE sequence.  But when inserted into a Captivate 10 CPTX and published to HTML5 the GIF will loop continuously, even though Loop is NOT selected in the Timing tab.

Has anyone found a way to get an animated GIF to loop once only in Cp HTML5?  I'd be interested to know.  Otherwise I think we'd have to class this as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, I try to avoid animated GIF's since CP9, they never work as expected in HTML5 output, have already logged that bug before for 9. I used to create them in Photoshop and upt till 9 everything worked fine, now only very simple, layer-based animations work. Looping in the animation application doesn't work neither. I have inserted an animated GIF which I took off the web recently, and it didn't loop in HTML5 output, I had to use the Loop in the Timing panel, but decided to use micronavigation because I had to have the audio attached to the GIF looping as well. It looks like being dependent on the way the GIF was created? I can send you that simple GIF for testing if you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case I only really tripped over this particular issue because I DID NOT want the animation to loop repeatedly.  One animated GIF is of a checkmark (as if selecting a checkbox) and the other is an animated X (as if crossing something out).

What I find particularly concerning is that I created these GIFs in Adobe Animate, but whether I export them as Animated GIFs or OAM files the result is the same.  I cannot get the animation to STOP looping.

This is fine if you actually WANT looping to happen, as has always been the case for me. But it's very annoying if you DON'T want it the cross or checkmark to keep going.

This is one of those times when I REALLY miss SWF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do miss SWF a lot. GIF doesn't loop automatically for me, wonder where the origin is. As I told: either they are custom, created in Photoshop, or free from the web.

This was the GIF I used lately as example, it didn't loop until I checked that option in Timing panel:

Firework stock photo. Image of happynes, firework, motion - 34937838

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 --- and we still can't use Animated GIFS in Captivate? I exported an Animated GIF to Play ONCE.... but it just keeps looping in Captivate. So I guess I just wasted a few hours.... since now I have to use a static image because I cant stop the LOOPING! I wish I understood what the Captivate team is doing.... it really shouldnt be so difficult.

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still the same for me, I can use animated GIFs, with some restrictions when creating them (for which I use mainly PS). What is the setting in the Timing Properties panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I seem to have issues, at least it is loading now, but I do NOT want my animation to Loop, just play once. 
"Looping" and "Synchronize" with project are unchecked.

I love Adobe software so much, but I just don't understand how they dont take advantage of all the great applications and programmers they must have to help the Captivate team resolve its issues. 

Captivate should work great, it should allow transparent Video to be imported, it should have dynamic linking with Character Animator, it should have an easy way to review and comment like Articulate does, it should have CC Libraries fully functional, adn it should be upgraded to work smooth and efficiently like its competition does. 
With all the access to the amazing things Adobe does, it should be MUCH better then its competition.... but unfortunately - it's falling behing quickly, and most of my clients are choosing Articulate - Adobe must see this happening... but why arent they doing anything about it? And whatever Happened to Project Charm that they presented at least TWO years ago. Isnt it embarrasing? I just don't understand. Adobe should make creating elearning Easy!

Here's to a new Captivate that resolves all its issues in 2023!!! 

Cheers,
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources