• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Next/Back button functionality

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having a heck of a time allowing users to go back and forward in a project. The project contains question slides interspersed with non-question slides. All of the multiple choice and multiple answer questions use correct/incorrect feedback, or in the case of multiple answer questions an advanced interaction to display feedback specific to the user's choices. 

In previous modules we have gotten very strong feedback that it would be helpful for the students to be able to navigate back and forth, but we also require that they answer every question.

We have placed Next/Back buttons on each slide (from the Quiz Properties panel in the case of question slides and on the master slide, in the case of non-question slides), but when we try to use them to navigate they sometimes work but a lot of times don't work correctly or get stuck. We can't figure out any pattern.

Why is this so difficult and is there something we are missing? The users should be able to go back and see the previous content and the feedback on their previous answers, when and where they wish, as opposed to using the review functionality at the end.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next button on question slides is normally functional as Skip button during Quiz, is only Next button during Review.

I never had that kind of problems, maybe they are due to your Quiz Preferences? Can you post them as screenshots? You have to remain in the Quiz scope to avoid having an attempt on Quiz level being terminated before all questions have been answered. From your description I detect that you are not using the built-in Remediation functionality that makes the quiz scope dynamic.

There is certainly a pattern, and as I told I suspect they are linked with the quiz slides, not with the normal content slides.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Below is a screenshot of our Quiz settings. You are right that we are not using the Remediation functionality. We just updated to 7 and need to figure it out. Do you think it would help with this issue?

Thanks!

Laurie

quiz-prefs.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm almost sure it is the Required setting that is causing this problem.

If you hide the Next button on question slides under the Clear button, the only way for a user to proceed is using the Submit button, so he has to answer each question. But with that setting you are causing problems for the free navigation that you want to offer.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Can you think of any way we can offer the free navigation? 

Laurie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the Required to 'Optional' (with what I told about hiding the Next button). Maybe your problem will be solved.

When testing, maybe put the new system variable cpInQuizScope in a text container on the first slide, displayed for rest of project, to check if you remain in the quiz scope when navigating. To extend the quiz scope to all the slides, you'd need a scored object (can be a button with) on the first slide (you don't have to add the score to the total) and have the Score slide as late as possible.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2014 Jan 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help, Lilybiri. Adobe is so lucky to have you! It really shouldn't be this difficult. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't "have" me   I just like to help other users, that is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. I only meant that the community is lucky to have you and it is nice for Adobe that you are so willing to help other users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

was just kidding, don't think Adobe minds at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hide my custom navigation buttons on quiz slides, without any problems. The quiz has a back button and and action on submit to go to next slide or continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources