Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quiz resets

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
Can anybody confirm or deny the behavior in Cp where navigating to a slide before a quiz resets all quiz answers? I have a course with a main menu, several lessons, and a cumulative quiz in each lesson. After the learner takes the quiz for a lesson they navigate back to the main menu. Upon reaching the quiz for the next lesson the score resets instead of adding to the previous quiz ( I can see this behavior in LMS diagnostics).

Thanks,
Rick

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not tried bundling multiple CP lessons into one, but that would seem to be a problem.

In fact, I'm surprised it works at all, as doesn't each CP lesson re-initialize the LMS?

Either it isn't (which is a nice surprise that the lessons realize they're all in one SCO and that one 'initialize' is enough) or it is and the LMS ignores it.

And either way, a CP lesson only has one quiz. There's no way I know of to have them score cumulatively across lessons.

If it were all one really long lesson, you could do what you want by have a quiz question here and there... But, again as far as I know, there's no way to tell CP to cumulatively count quizzes across lessons. Each lesson's quiz is it's own self-contained quiz...

Can you not bundle each lesson into a separate SCO and let the LMS be the menu?

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This project has nine short modules with a four question quiz after each one. The client wanted them all packaged into a single LMS menu item, but I'm seeing that initially I'll need to package them separately.

I've tried the Aggregator but after the first module plays I haven't figured out how to get the next module to start or access it in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 17, 2009 Dec 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With warnings about overly-long CP files kept in mind, if these modules are indeed fairly short (how many slides on average?) and you need to cumulatively score the quizzes, perhaps best to merge them all into one project?

Folks have found the Aggregator to work sometimes and not others, depending on their needs I guess. I've not used it... However, it should certainly be able to launch different lessons...that's the seeming point! On the other hand, that could be difficult...as it may require 'sequencing' support from the LMS...which not many have. Kinda depends on how the Aggregator works...

Anyway, no insight for you there - sorry! It would seem to me best to either keep the lesson separate and let the LMS be the 'menu' or merge them all into one CP file if that doesn't give you an insanely huge file to manage.

Others may have other insights...

HTH

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2009 Dec 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erik,

Merging the modules together gives me a project nearing 300 slides. Unwieldly at best.

Having such a huge course necessitates the use of some kind of bookmarking so the learner can return to finish at a later date. I tried the TOC, but without having persistent checkmarks the learner will have difficulty orienting themselves to where they've been previously in the course.

So I built my own menu where (using variables and advanced actions) a checkmark gets "shown" next to each lesson when the last slide in that lesson is viewed. Works great until the learner leaves the course and returns later to find the checkmarks are hidden again. Is keeping the checkmarks visible upon returning to the course a function of captivate actions, LMS settings, manifest scripting, or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2009 Dec 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just a small question about your use of the TOC: if you want the check marks to be consistent, you should activate 'Self-paced learning' in the Run Time Options of the TOC-settings. This works well for me, did you activate it?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2009 Dec 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "Self-paced Learning" is checked. I have tested again and found that resuming an incomplete course from our LMS does return the learner to the point where they left off but the checkmarks (flags) in the TOC do not remain. Not sure if it's an issue with the LMS or my configuration--I'll keep testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello again,

In the Reporting settings: is perhaps 'Never send resume data' activated? You'll find it under the LMS Customization Settings, in the Quiz Reporting part. I'm not sure about it, someone else could perhaps confirm, but is the user working on the same PC when retaking the course? Somewhere I read that the TOC-resuming is kept on the PC itself, not on the LMS? And the setting 'Never send resume data' is for the LMS-link with CP.

Sorry not to be able immediately in the right direction, but LMS's are not always behaving in the same way I experienced.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources