• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover Capion/Image working in HTML5

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years, I avoided using rollovers due to their Flash-based animation. (I felt that the rollover effect could have been handled with CSS but that feature wasn't updated in Captivate.)

Now, in Classic, they work when previewing in HTML5, however, I still get the "not supported" dialog box and they are listed in the HTML5 Tracker panel. 

Can anyone explain why? (I searched the forums and google to no avail.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you have a look at my blog post about this feature?

https://blog.lilybiri.com/swf-to-html-replacing-rollover-caption-slash-image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent article (as always), but assuming I understood it correctly, it doesn't answer my original question.

I'm wondering why the Classic rollovers work in HTML5 (on a computer) but still give an error like the old SWF versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues you're encountering with rollovers in HTML5 are due to several reasons. Firstly, rollover slidelets, initially designed for SWF (Flash) technology, are incompatible with HTML5. Secondly, while rollover captions or images can work in HTML5, their functionality is limited to hover event devices like laptops and desktops. Hence, they don't work on mobile devices. Furthermore, in Fluid Boxes projects, which are typically aimed at mobile compatibility, the option to insert rollover captions or images is disabled. However, there's a workaround for this limitation. You can use a Click Box with a Hint to simulate a rollover effect. By adjusting the Click Box settings and placing it over the intended area, you can create an effect similar to rollovers that functions appropriately in HTML5, avoiding any issues in the HTML5 tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reason why is the 'obsession' with responsive projects. The Rollover image and caption will not be functional in those projects, whether you use Fluid Boxes or Breakpoint views. This is more due to the lack of Hover on mobile devices than to the HTML5 output. For that same reason the Captivate Classic did also take out some features which worked perfectly for a non-responsive project in HTML5 output (All learning interactions) or when published to MP4 (Slide transitions).

Sorry that I sent you a link to the wrong blog post, I should have checked it. It was the most recent one, and that is why it didn't include this explanation. The HTML tracker is useful but... far from perfect.

@JJByrne  You mentioned the same reason. However your workflow with 'click box' is impossible for Fluid Boxes project, it is one of the objects which you cannot use in a normal fluid box where stacking is prohibited. This means that you cannot use a click box because it is always meant to be over another object. Or you should need to use a static fluid box, but in that case you lose the real fluidity as you probably know. The result is often messy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources