I'm having trouble with my SCORM 1.2 package.
The problem arises when the user spends time within the player, the content will start off loading and playing the content fine. However, after the user has navigated 60-70% of the slides, Captivate will start to load the next slide (it will show the loading screen) and, after a little bit longer, it will fail to load all the content on the slide.
This leads to strange issues, anything from failing to load an image on the slide, to just simply not being able to load the slide at all.
Refreshing the content and resuming from where you left off fixes the problem, however, it will not remember the state of some images that are vital to progressing the course.
I've tried checking and unchecking "self-paced learning" to see if this could be causing the issue, no luck.
I've tried reducing the data sent to the LMS/Server to reduce the strain on it, but it doesn't seem to have any impact.
Any help would be really appreciated, I've navigated through many forums and can't seem to find anything on this....
I've done my best to try and explain the issue, but it's hard to put into words, To any Hero out there who would like to help me, I've attached a link to the SCORM below
Copy link to clipboard
Not sure what is wrong. Just couple of tips.
Do not turn on self-paced learning in the TOC, because it could be in conflict with the bookmarking of the LMS.
How big is that project? Do you need to transfer a lot of data (interaction data)? The amount is bit limited in SCORM 1.2, is there a possibility to switch to 2004?
DId you check the project in SCORM Cloud, to see if it is not linked with the specific LMS?
First of all, wow! thanks for your swift reply, I've seen you provide countless tips to over people, including myself, I'm incredibly grateful
My project contains many images and videos, so the size of the file is naturally quite big, it clocks in at 780 mb, if this is a contributing issue, do we have no choice but to chalk it up to a limitation of SCORM 1.2? My client needs a SCORM 1.2 package, but testing it with SCORM 2004 is a good idea nevertheless. Do you know a good SCORM 2004 player?
In regards to your interaction question, I have multiple buttons in my project, in fact, my player functionality works by next and previous buttons in every slide, is there a chance that all these buttons are straining the server too much?
I also have a central "hub" slide that keeps track of the user's progress and lets them know if they are ready to progress to the ending, they revisit this slide 8-10 times and are notified once a section is completed via an image that changes state, there is also multiple advanced actions that is looking for completion. Do you believe this could be too much for a SCORM 1.2 to handle?
I have attempted to upload the file to the SCORM cloud but keep getting the "data not received. Please check the internet connection" I think its because its over 100mb...
SCORM Cloud can use both 1.2 & 2004 SCORM files.
But the real problem is not so much the transfer data which may be fine in 1.2, but the huge file size bothers me more. What is the output file size, because I presume you were talking about the cptx?
Whenever possible limit the number of interactive objects and advanced actions.
If you need a Next button on most slides, put them on the used mater slides. Same for similar buttons.
Use graphics which are sized in a graphics application to exactly the size you need it to have in Captivate. Do not resize in Captivate. Play with settings for audio and video to get an acceptable quality, not a too high quality. Video needs also to be in the correct screen size.
Lot of navigation in the course can also slow down the process.
So, I tried everything as you suggested, and I made a version where I excluded every single video, the file size dropped from 800MB to just over 100MB, and this fixed the issue for me.
I'm guessing that during playback, the progressive download videos are progressively stored in the cache, and so once you get past 60% of the project, the browser/server/player finds it hard to keep up, a shame for my project, but at least you figured it out!
I will experiment with hosting my videos on youtube/external to try and keep the project size down, thanks again for your help!