Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simulations have Rectangles instead of Callouts

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am back to Captivate after about 7-8 years. I installed a trial version of All-New Captivate and noticed that many things have changed during this period. 

I just tried a simple simulation recording and got the output in three modes as expected. Now, the instruction box is rectangle by default. How do I change it to typical Callout box with a pointer towards the action item, say a Menu? Please suggest.

I looked around in Preferences, Properties of the box, timeline, etc. I don't see any setting to do so. Sorry if I have missed something very obvious.

Sreekanth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Are you the same Sreekanth I have chatted with quite a while ago? Just curious....

Indeed, as Rod already pointed out the new Captivate 12 requires that you forget everything you ever knew about Captivate in previous versions.  Because that new version - only responsive projects - does lack a lot of features which an eLearning authoring tool should have (and previous versions had) you are entitled to install Captivate Classic (11.8.2) along version 12 on the same system and license. However the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct that the new Captivate 12 is nothing like previous versions.  A lot of previous functionality is not so far available in the new version.  Because of this, Adobe is allowing users with a license for the new Captivate 12 to also install and use Captivate 2019 as well.  That version is now called Captivate Classic.

The new Captivate is designed more to create responsive e-learning instead of using a fixed stage size.  That means that you cannot now easily position callouts or objects anywhere on stage.

However, you also be aware that Captivate 12 and Captivate Classic are completely incompatible.  You cannot open files created with Captivate Classic in Captivate 12 or vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you the same Sreekanth I have chatted with quite a while ago? Just curious....

Indeed, as Rod already pointed out the new Captivate 12 requires that you forget everything you ever knew about Captivate in previous versions.  Because that new version - only responsive projects - does lack a lot of features which an eLearning authoring tool should have (and previous versions had) you are entitled to install Captivate Classic (11.8.2) along version 12 on the same system and license. However the extension and installation folder structure changes which makes that most recent version also kind of incompatible with the previous more stable version 11.5.5.553. That caused a lot of problems for some of my clients, and is not told in the official documentation (of course). Version 11.8.2 took out SWF-related features, but also some features which were compatible with HTML5 output or with MP4 output. However for software simulations I really recommend to use Captivate Classic over version 12, the workflow is rather similar (in version 12 it mimicks the previous version, uses even items like click boxes and text entry boxes which do not exist in the normal 12 projects at all). But you'll lose the full customisabilit in the sims in version 12 which you are used to. There are no longer object styles in the new watered down themes. Moreover due to the obsession with responsive projects, both Assessment and Training modes become rather useless: they may pan and zoom automatically to the region where the learner needs to click or type. That is really unwanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Lieve. It is the same Sreekanth. Thanks for remembering. In fact, I consider it an honor.

I am so glad to see you and Rod still helping out people here. I had learnt everything about Advanced Actions from you and was a subscriber of Rod's newsletter. However, I changed companies and moved to different roles where we didn't need Captivate. But now, I am back to software training. So exploring this.

I installed the Classic version as Rod suggested. As you both rightly point out, I feel at home now. Familiar interfaces and functionalities. My team is completely new to any kind of software simulations. So, while I evaluate the tool, I need to think from their perspective as well, esp. with the learning curve, along with cost and other aspects. Will play around a bit more before finalizing one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome back, Sreekanth!

If you ever switch to version 12, it has no longer advanced nor shared actions. All reusabilitiy features are gone as well as collaboration with other Adobe applications. Just a warning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, it looks like we pay for the new version which lacks a ton of good stuff to actually use the older version which Adobe attaches for "free" as it can do a lot more than the new one. 

Is there no alternative for advanced actions / shared action at all in the new one? Honestly, it is very difficult to digest the fact that a tool which could do so much more than its competitors is reduced to yet another course authoring tool. I am attending the Adobe Learning World today and tomorrow (May 7 and 8). Hope I will find some answers there as well.

As always, thanks a ton for your inputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you DO get the chance to meet someone who actually works for Adobe on the Captivate team, PLEASE voice your opinion about this new version.  I do not think Adobe is really in touch with their target audience when it comes to e-learning authoring tools.  In my opinion, this new version of Captivate is doing a huge amount of damage to Adobe's reputation and could be killing their market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is an online event Rod. So, will not be able to meet anyone in person. There is a two-hour session on the new Captivate by Sharath Ramaswamy of Adobe. I have a clash with with other meetings, but will try to attend that as much as possible and ask a few questions if I get a chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have voiced my feelings since 2019 (when they started developing the new version), but result is that I am banned....

The only alternative is copy/paste.  At the start of the testing I proved that creating a simple game in this new version took at least 5 times the time needed in the previous version but... it only got worse. Irony: I used to label a concurrent application as the 'copy/paste' application. Consultancy where I debug and enhance projects has become impossible because all useful panels/views are gone: Library, Advanced Interaction view, Object style manager, Advanced actions dialog box... to mention a few. Once they kill Captivate Classic, I am jobless.  It looks like someone wants to get rid of Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2024 Aug 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To change the instruction box to a callout with a pointer, follow these steps:

1. Select the Box: Click on the instruction box in your project.

2. Open Properties: Go to the Properties panel (Window > Properties if not open).

3. Change Shape: In the Style tab, choose a callout shape from the Shape dropdown, like "Rounded Rectangle Callout."

4. Adjust Pointer: Drag the pointer to aim at your action item.

If you've ever played life simulation games like BitLife, think of customizing your simulation project in Captivate as similar to tailoring your character's life choices and appearance. Every choice you make can enhance the experience!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources