Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow loading from HTML

Participant ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I'm relatively new to Captivate, but I think I'm finding my way around the app nicely. I'm currently working on a project that will include 360° and an output of HTML. This HTML file will be what my colleagues and customers open to access the project, as we cannot open EXE/SWF files for security reasons. I'll also note that anyone who wishes to access this (exported) project, will have access to the entire folder that Captivate will spit out, and not just the index.HTML file.

My current issue is that Captivate either via 'preview in browser' or export>HTML5>Preview via Captivate's prompt, is working fine with no issues at all. However, using the exact same index.HTML file that Captivate exports, it seems that it is extremely slow to load into any of my slides, and the 360 slide just remains black. This is persistent through all our browsers - Edge, IE, and Chrome.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what is happening and how I should look into resolving this issue? Perhaps some sort of 'loader' at the beginning? I have noticed that whilst previewing via Captivate, it views the HTML file via LocalHost://, which might be the reason it is operating at an appropriate speed.

Cheers in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure which version of Captivate you are using, full version number is under Help, About Captivate. However since you point to 360° slides you are for sure not using the most recent version which is 12.

There isn't any version which has Export HTML. The raw cptx project of the editing environment needs to be published to HTML5. The result is an output folder, may be zipped if it is a SCO, which needs to be uploaded to a webserver or a LMS (for a SCO) like any other website to be viewed using its start file (for a non-SCO that is indeed index.html). The output folder is not at all the same as the cptx file which in reality a zipped folder as well. Why do you need access to the output folder? Local viewing using the localhost will only work in very rare situations (immediately after publishing, or by using Preview in Browser from the editing environment) and certainly not when you include 360° slides. 

The answer is: to allow viewing the output, upload the folder to a webserver (like AWS). If your colleagues need access to the assets you need to share the cptx-project but that means that they need a Captivate license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lilybiri,

I'm so sorry about the delayed response!! Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.

My Captivate version is 2019, indeed it isn't the latest version, unfortunately. I acknowledge that the published HTML5 files needs to be uploaded onto a webhost/server, however, in the past when I've created HTML products (without any PHP) I recall them working just fine, locally, through opening the Index.HTML file. These products were basic - clicking here and there, or having simple buttons. I fell into the assumption that creating this 360° slide using the 2019 360° tools, and publishing it to HTML5 would work the same - clearly not!

The reason why I need it to function this way is because there's no opportunity for us to run a localhost, or an internal webserver over our network. We've many restrictions in terms of what we can install, and having successfully created HTML products and having my colleagues open them via Index.HTML, I was hoping this would be no different.

I take it there's no other work arounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources