Exit

Text Entry Box Shortcut

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2012 Apr 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with Captivate 5.5

When entering Text into a Text Entry Box with a shortcut assigned

e.g. I have a Password Box where I instruct the user to type 'password'. I have a shortcut on the Text Entry Box of 'd'.

I expect it to take the user to the next slide/part of the slide as it has recognised not only the word entered but also that the shortcut key has been pressed.

It works fine in Captivate 4 but seems to be a problem in Captivate 5.5. Sometimes it will take the shortcut, sometimes you have to delete the shortcut and press the key harder and it will recognise it.

It works without failure everytime in Captivate 4.

I need it to work 100% everytime in Captivate 5.5

I have seen a few posts with the same problem but no answer.

Is anyone else having a similar issue, or can think of a way round this problem.

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Amanda,

I meant to post on here yesterday but got tied up with some of my projects.

I actually spoke to Adobe's Helpline yesterday. After 50 minutes of the person on the end of the line trying to understand what I meant I finally got a proper answer. It was as if I was teaching the support technician how to use the software as I went along, which made it even harder to explain my point. They dialled into my machine and after playing around with the pause settings and changing certain properties on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ...but...this is an intermittent issue that has been notoriously difficult to pin down.  Yes it does occur, and nobody is denying that.  That we (Adobe included) would like to see it fixed is also a given because no sane successful software company turns a blind eye to annoying bugs. 

But in order for them to do so, they need to be able to reproduce it from sample files.  A few posts ago on this thread Vish from Adobe asked if anyone could send him project files that show the issue in order to research it, but as far as I can see in the threads, only one person offered to do so.  So Adobe IS willing to look into this for you.  How did you help them resolve it?

If you REALLY want to see this issue fixed (as opposed to just complaining about it) then send some files to Adobe.  No one is asking you to send proprietary information.  Just mock up a small project that shows the issue and send them to Vish on the email address he provided.

If this was a Microsoft app and you complained about some issue but were unwilling to send them the required files to debug it, then I fail to see how they would be any further ahead than Adobe.  I don't work for Adobe and they don't pay me.  But I grow somewhat tired of people bagging them for issues when they're making every effort to do the right thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to send some files in, how do i go about this and i will send a cut down version of the project that went live.

I hope this helps?

Cheers Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is rather annoying that you are bringing this up Rod, because I have sent them files, as well as having them dialled into my computer for over an hour.

They have seen the issue. They have my files. They are fully aware of the problem.

You say "as opposed to just complaining about it", but I am not just doing that.

If you dont work for Adobe then why is it such a problem for you? I have done what has been asked, they have all the necessary information. We arent just "bagging" them for issues. This is tried and tested and right in front of their eyes.

Stop winding people up! Because that is what you are doing to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Can you please send me the Cp 5.5 files where you are finding this issue as either attachment through mail to mathkyar@adobe.com or

Upload the files to Acrobat.com and send me the links.

Thanks,
Vish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vish,

As I stated before i have already spoken to Adobe helpline who have been on my machine and seen the problem, and also took the files. I will not be uploading them again as I am currently busy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vish

I have sent you a file to the address you have provided.

Have fun.

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies.  If you've already sent files into Adobe, that's great.  Well done.  Hopefully more people will follow your example.

(By the way, for others wanting to know how to send files, you can attach files to the Bug Report when you log it.)

However, I stand by my advice that if this issue is VERY important to you then you should at least download and test the trial version of Cp6 to see if the issue has been resolved.  If Cp6 resolves it then you at least know one way to solve it. 

Whether Adobe chooses to release a patch for Cp5.5 is anyone's guess, but my personal observation is that they would only be likely to do this if many users were complaining about the same thing.  As annoying as this issue might be, it has only cropped up very infrequently in the forums as far as I can remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Again as I said before, it is madness to even try Cap 6.0 as it should be functionality working in 5.5. I will not be spending anymore money upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well, I guess it's just not that important then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its VERY important. But why should I pay to upgrade to 6.0 when 5.5 isnt working to how it should be.

I do not have the money to just upgrade because some functionality is missing in the version I have already spent alot of money on.

No wonder people pirate software. That way there is no loss if the software doesnt work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott, you're really missing a golden opportunity here. 

Vish isn't just some Adobe support flunky reading a script of the screen in front of him to try and diagnose an issue he knows nothing about.  He's one of the Adobe Captivate Dev Team members.  He's one of the dudes that builds this app, and he's offering to PERSONALLY take a look at the issue for you!  All you have to do is take a few minutes to send him some files.  He's not asking you to spend any money.

If as you say it is "VERY important", and you wanted ANY chance whatsoever of getting a fix for Cp 5.5 (let alone Cp6) then THIS is your chance.  Don't muff it.

And for the record...Talking up "pirating software" on a software manufacturer's web user forum is NOT going to win you ANY points with the people you expect to help and support you.  They'd be quite within their rights to regard that as offensive.  Bad move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked with Vishal at Captivate Support to correct the issue. It is important to make sure the settings under actions are set to go to next slide upon Enter, when using a textbox with a shortcut keystroke. I finally got it to working correctly with these settings.

Donna Eversole

<mailto:deversol@comcast.net> deversol@comcast.net

......__o

....'\ <;

...()_()__

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2012 Jul 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  see my settings picture did not post. 

Under the Action setting make sure that " Go to next slide is selected"  upon use of Enter(or shortcut key).  Specify the number of attempts and upon last attempt...."Continue" is selected.

By using this setting with a textbox and shortcut key, the assessment module works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DEversole, i think its safe to say after nearly 2 months of looking at why this didn't work and involving atleast 2 qualified Captivate tutors that 'Go to next slide is selected" upon use of Enter(or shortcut key). Specify the number of attempts and upon last attempt...."Continue" is selected' was looked at...!!!!!

Its in Adobe hands and maybe it can get resolved.???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is that Vishal looked at my file and that was the thing that fixed the issue in my assessment module. It works now and I had built it correctly with the exception of those settings. I am very satisfied with how my issue was resolved with Vishal’s help.

Donna Eversole

<mailto:deversol@comcast.net> deversol@comcast.net

......__o

....'\ <;

...()_()__

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a year since the last post and I still don't see a fix for this problem for 5.5. Sometimes the "s" triggers the action, sometimes not. At my normal typing speed for the 3 letters for validation, success is rare. If I type very slowly, SOMETIMES it actually triggers something. I don't get a failure caption, either--until I type something more.

I set On success to go to next slide, 2 attempts, and to go to next slide after last attempt. It skipped to 2 slides ahead. I reset Last attempt to continue, and IF it triggers it only goes 1 slide ahead.

Also, the spacebar is not accepted as a shortcut, which would be a good alternative for my situation as Tab or Enter or Ctrl anything would not be accurate simulation of the system. Can this be fixed or "work around"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2013 May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were expecting Adobe to issue patches for Captivate 5.5 for relatively minor issues like this one, I'm afraid you are bound to be disappointed.  Cp 5.5 is now around three versions behind the times.  Adobe's focus by now is on the latest builds.

I would recommend you download trial versions of the latest Cp and test to see if your issue has been resolved there.  If not, THEN you might stand a chance of seeing something get fixed...in the next version, or the one after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your post.  I have completed my work with Captivate for now.  I learned to work around all the shortcomings to complete my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources