• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

transparent button vs. highlight boxes

Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2007 Apr 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a newbee to Captivate, and was wondering what's the difference between a transparent button and a highlight box (which can also be transparent). What would someone use a transparent button for?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara and welcome to our community

Are you possibly confusing a Highlight Box with a Click Box?

A Highlight Box really should never be transparent. Its purpose is to highlight or call attention to an area on the screen. A Click Box is used in the same way a button is. It provides a way to allow your user to click to interact with your movie. Buttons and Click Boxes look a bit different.

You might want to insert an image of a screen on a slide. Then insert Click Boxes that are invisible and link to slides that perhaps provide explanations of the area that was clicked. This is just one way you might use a click box.

On the other hand, a button is just that. A visible indication that something will happen when your user clicks it.

Perhaps Larry or another person here can better explain things if I managed to munge it and muddy the waters.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for your explanation.

When inserting a button, three types of buttons are available to choose from: text , transparent, and image. I understand the use of text and image buttons, but can't think of what a transparent button would be used for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Yes, I too question the value of using a Transparent Button. About the only reason I can think of where it might come in handy would be if perhaps you needed to highlight areas that are clickable. In this case, you could include a border surrounding the clickable areas that is part of the button object. If you used a Click Box, you would also need to combine it with a Highlight Box.

How's that? Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, Rick. Yes, your explanation makes sense. Now I can see where a transparent button could be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2007 Apr 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use transparent buttons when I have text entries, followed by a click. For example, think of this forum, where you type your reply, and then click the "Reply" button. In the text entry, I include a transparent button over "Reply". That leaves the page and form graphically identical to the real environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KCWebPlaza

In the case of what you described, are you referring to the Button option of the Text Entry Box object? It sure sounds like that's what it is. Otherwise, I would seriously question why you would opt for a Transparent Button over a Click Box object.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2007 Apr 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This is one thing I was looking to emulate the live software. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, KC. Good ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources