Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video not working on mobile devices

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an issue with a project build in Captivate 9 using responsive design.

It’s contains a 9MB  mp4 video - which plays fine through desktop browsers, but won’t play on an iPad or iPhone.  The video is fine, as it plays on these devices through dropbox, it just won’t when it’s in Captivate - any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris.captivate ios mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

If its it won't play on Apple device, I suspect its in a format that isn't compatible. Possibly .flv or .wmv originally, even though it has an .mp4 extension, now. I would go back to the original creator and ask for a new .mp4 version right from source. If nothing else to at least rule that out. You can also try converting it to a mp4 with Adobe Media Encoder yourself and see if that resolves it..

Cheers

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run it through the Media Encoder app or another video encoding application. Just because it is an mp4 file doesn't mean the actual encoding of the video is in a supported format (confusing I know).

Dropbox transcodes videos on the fly via their servers to a format that works based on the client device, so that it will play well on any device. If you make the video available via dropbox for download I can convert it for you if you like.

mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark - that did the trick.

Really helpful info about Dropbox and mp4 too which I'll pass onto my colleagues.

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried posting short video to Dropbox and then downloading from the link i sent myself but no success getting it to play via phone or tablet.

Am i understanding correctly that the transcoded Dropbox version enabled autoplay for phone and tablet? If so, can you provide more detail on how to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a URL to the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure - Thanks Mark

Dropbox - Enigma7.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just loaded it successfully on the latest version of iOS, so it works fine on iPhone and iPad. I do not have an Android device to test with. Keep in mind that Dropbox "wraps" the video in an html page and presents it to the user. It is not set to autoplay (which was not even possible until Apple lifted that restriction in iOS 10) - the user must press the play button overlay to get it to play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I'm having the same problem and I'm just not able to fix it myself. Trying to play a video on my mobile device and it just shows a black bar. (mintart.org). can someone please help me

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a fix I came accross 

Happy editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources