• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing in an LMS

New Here ,
May 30, 2008 May 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've published a Captivate to Flash (SCORM), and placed it on a LMS. This is the first course I've published this way, and although I can view it, some others cannot. Many get stuck on the initial loading screen, however other can view it very easily. All those attempting to view the course have the most recent version of Flash.

Are there Privacy options (or some other function) for the browser that need to be set?

Any suggestions? I am using Captivate 3.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2008 Jun 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does 'stuck on the initial loading screen' mean? I've never see a
project hit the loading screen and just stay there. The arrow just spins
and no percentage is shown?
'Twould seem to me to be a connection or server issue... Can the folks
having the problem view the file outside the LMS (standard website
delivery)?
Erik

xCxAxLx wrote:
> I've published a Captivate to Flash (SCORM), and placed it on a LMS. This is
> the first course I've published this way, and although I can view it, some
> others cannot.

--
Erik Lord
http://www.capemedia.net
Adobe Community Expert - eLearning
http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.awaretips.net - Authorware Tips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2008 Jun 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By 'stuck,' I mean the loading screen reaches a certain percentage (say, 13% or 28%, though never higher), and will not load any more. The project will just sit there at 13%. I don't think it's a connection issue, as they are able to view other, larger (non-Captivate) classes via the same LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to have users load this outside the LMS?
It really sounds like the project can't find a specific file for some reason so is getting stuck during loading, though not sure why some people have the problem but others do not.
What browser? Can you try Firefox if currently using IE? Maybe those successfully loading the project are using one browser and others are using another?
Server permissions? MIME Types? (starting to stretch...)
Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try posting the file outside the LMS (we currently have single executable Captivate sessions hosted outside the LMS which work fine). I don't believe it's an browser issue, as I can run the course on my machine on both Firefox and IE, but cannot run it on another machine on either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be a permissions issue on the machines? Some logins don't allow
access to, perhaps, a cache folder that Captivate is trying to download
to? Or specific file types aren't allowed to a given folder so CP can't
dload some files to the user's machine?
It has to be something like that - a server, connection, or computer
issue. If the course works fine sometimes - on one machine but not
another, etc. - it's almost certain to be an issue related to those
aspects (IMO).
Erik

xCxAxLx wrote:
> I will try posting the file outside the LMS (we currently have single
> executable Captivate sessions hosted outside the LMS which work fine). I don't
> believe it's an browser issue, as I can run the course on my machine on both
> Firefox and IE, but cannot run it on another machine on either.
>

--
Erik Lord
http://www.capemedia.net
Adobe Community Expert - eLearning
http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.awaretips.net - Authorware Tips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look into this and see if that is, indeed, the problem.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you able to resolve your issue? I've seen similar events, were I was getting lockups in between the preloader and the course. Like yours, it wasn't affecting everyone.
I loaded the course into the LMS and copied the URL.
I then pasted the URL into the browser without going through the LMS.
The course worked fine. So, what I figured was that the course launched but was unable to find the API to initialize communication and just stopped loading(or perhaps more acurately went into a loop looking for the API).

I wish I could give you a fix, but I don't have one that works everytime. I ended up increasing the amount of time to wait for the Scorm API load from 1 to 2 seconds. intIntervalSecs = 1; in the default.html scorm 1.2 template.

I'm curious, though, to know how you fixed or got around your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took your advice on adjusting the amount of time to wait for the Scorm API to load, but nothing. I don't even get a load screen anymore. Still looking for a solution, and trying anything in the mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2008 Aug 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that was not the best solution.

I do now have a solution that worked on 100% of our machines. Not that it will work for you, but here goes:

When we started having the problem, we had the Java Runtime Engine version 1.4.2_13 on all sets, it was hit or miss on who established a connection. We ended up uninstalling Flash Player and the JRE 1.4.2_13, then reinstalled Flash Player 9 and JRE 1.4.2_16. Of course, IT created a push to all our sets.

It is possible that simply upgrading to JRE 1.4.2_16 or greater could solve your problem, but we weren't sure that it would so we went all out.

It's worth a try and let me know if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2008 Aug 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempted this, however...nothing.

The problem appears to be a 'timing out' issue. The course will load only so much, then stop loading. If it is exited, then the user attempts to open again, the course loads slightly more. Repeat this process until it loads completely.

How can this be solved? The suggestion by O G's Y Me? was a good idea in theory, but failed to work. Is there any other way to go about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2008 Aug 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I dont know if this will help or not but I also use Captivate on an LMS and have had some students say they could not view my presentations while others had no problem. Several of the students who had no problem downloaded the flash and shockwave players from the Adobe website. The students who tried this found that they had no problems after doing that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2008 Aug 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Installed Shockwave, tested course again. The course loads quicker, and more of it loads, but we still encounter the problem of the whole course not loading. Prior to Shockwave, the course would take a few minutes to load, get up to 10%-12%, then stop. After Shockwave, the course zipped up to 57% in a matter of seconds, but then stalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources