Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are the custom skins saved?

Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a custom skin.

Is it saved as a file on the file system?

If yes, where can I find it?

Thanks,

Merav.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of CP please?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using CP4 but need also to know where it is on CP5.

Thanks,

Merav.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know where they get stored, however, I don't know how Captivate determines when to look there to build the list of available themes. I have created some custom skins using the normal Captivate 5 interface and they get stored here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your profile>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Captivate 5\Themes

However, I find that if I create a new theme file (copy and paste, and then change the name) and put it in the same folder, Captivate 5 doesn't place it in the list of available themes. What this means to me is I cannot create themes and pass them on to other users. At least I don't think so. It seems to me that I should be able to copy themes to this folder and have Captivate pick them up so that we can copy them to other developer systems. Please let me know if there is a way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 07, 2011 Jan 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted here in hopes to nudge it up a bit.  In my situation I need to get a skin (just the playbar) used in Cp4 projects into Cp5.  At least on the Mac side, if I open the Cp4 files, the custom skin is there and I can edit it and save it. But then when I open a file created from scratch in Cp5, the skin isn't there.  I tried exporting styles and preferences from Cp4 and then import into Cp5, but the Cp4 playbar didn't come over to Cp5.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I 'm also puzzled with the location of the custom skins.

I use Captivate 6 on a Mac OSX and I can't find them.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

Skins are available under Project Menu>Skin Editor. If you are looking for Themes they are available under Themes Menu>Show/Hide Themes Panel. You can click on Themes icon as well on the Menu bar.

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vish,

I actually mean the file location in the hard drive.

I would like to share a skin with a colleague.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

They are available under Gallery/Themes/. I understand folder name can be confusing

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I checked this folder but inside I can see only the default skins.

In my case I modified one of the defaults and then I saved it under a different name e.g. testskin. It didn't give me the option to choose the location.

But now I 'm not able to find it, not even in the themes folder. However I can see it in the skin list, in Captivate.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will be stored in your profile. In Windows look at

Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Captivate 6.0\Themes

Beware: it is also a system folder, could be hidden by Windows

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri,

But as I said previously, I 'm working on a Mac at the moment.

I tried your idea about the hidden files in my Mac, but still I didn't find it in the folder.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread, just answered because I saw Vish's answer that was not pointing to the right place. Have no Mac.

Did you ever have to delete the Preferences folder? Think the custom skins are also in that folder on Mac

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

Here are the steps for mac.

1. Switch to desktop

2. Hold Option Key and click 'Go' Menu

3. Select the Library (Library is hidden by default and that's why we do this)

4. Go to Preferences>Adobe Captivate 6.0>Themes

5. Copy the .ini file which you want to distribute

6. Now, other user should put them in /Gallery/Themes. When they launch captivate it will be automatically copied to preferences folder.

It is not advisable to directly modify the preferences so ask them to place it in themes folder. If you think it is a good idea to include the skin as part of export preferences workflow, then please mail a feature request to captivatehelp@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that was well hidden!

I would never find it by myself.

Thank you so much both of you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vish,

Would you mind providing step by step procedure for finding custom skins file on Windows 7, Captivate 6? I need to share the custom skin with other users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would also need to get access to the .fla file of my customized skin so that I can change the player language. Jay's request from 2 years ago is still unanswered.  I've tried all the locations you guys wrote about in this feed, and many more, but the closest thing I found was my saved skin in the AppData>Local>Theme folder but as a .ini file.

I'm on Windows 7 and using Captivate 9.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay, Nancy, and anyone interested . . .

Custom skins for Captivate 9 on Windows 7 are saved in

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Layouts\9_0\en_US

Captivate adds a .ini file extension to the skin. In order to select the skin in the Skin Editor for a project, you must change the file extension to .cptm. Otherwise it will not be listed in the Skin Editor.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barbara, but it depends on your language of course which folder in Public Documents is set up.

This is an old thread, just wanted to add (because a lot of users don't seem to know this) that the Skin is an essential part of the Theme, as are the Object Styles and the Master slides. The extension 'cptm' is not the extension for a custom skin but for a theme!

You can save a custom theme (including Object Styles, Master Slides and Skin, sorry for the repetition) wherever you want. There is no need to save it in the indicated path. Within the Themes panel you can always browse to find the correct theme. I find it much easier to keep the custom themes with the projects in their dedicated folder than having them all in that public folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I'm not looking for the .cptm file, neither the .ini file, but the .fla file.

When I'm in the skin editor and want to "save as", Captivate doesn't let me see where the file is saved :

2015-12-16_07-07-11.png  2015-12-16_07-07-46.png

But still, it appears in the drop down menu :

2015-12-16_07-23-19.png

All the other .fla files are in the directory :

C:\Programmes\Adobe\Adobe Captivate\Templates\PlaybackFLA\AS3

2015-12-16_07-08-34.png

I read other threads and the workaround I need to make for my client is in this file. A former coallegue of mine has done it before, so it's supposed to work...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2015 Dec 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I solved my issue by myself.

The fact was that I was working on someone else's project and the skin was already customized for the client's need. I had to make the workarounds I wanted (change the labels to French and lock the progression bar) on an existing "virgin" Captivate skin first, then I had to customize the player and TOC setting to recreate the same layout as my former colleague had done in a previous project. Captivate does not create a new .fla file for the custom skins you create. And that was those files I was looking for for the past days.

I thought I could hlep other users with the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources