• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

your computer does not have sufficient memory resource to publish your file

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded CP5 trial version to see what's new.  Is it just me or is it really buggy?

I received 'Adobe Captivate has stoped working' half a dozen times but managed to convert a small CP4 project (35 slides not a lot of animation or voice over) and tried to preview it.  I got the message 'your computer does not have sufficient memory resource to publish your file'.  I'm working on a new laptop with 4 GB of ram and I still get that message even when I kill everything else and only have Captivate running.  I'm working with Windows 7 on 64-bit OS.  Has anyone else run into this?  How much memory does CP5 draw?

Needless to say I won't be upgrading any time soon...

Best,
Aimee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you give us more information on this issue so that we can investigate?

Can you uncheck only  'advanced project compression'  and try with 'compress swf file' checked on and let us know whether you are able to reproduce the issue?

Also  how long do you work with captivate before you see this error? Does it  happen immediately or after you have worked for some 20 mins?

A short summary of operations that you commonly perform before you see the error will also be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jayashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the 'Advanced Project Compression' option uncheck, the error does not seem to occur.  At least I have not had it occur in about 7 attempts.  With both options checked, I can publish immediately after opening a file and see the error popup.

I have noticed that it occurs more frequently with files that were upgraded from CP 3/4 than with files created from scratch in CP5.

I'm not exactly sure what the advanced project compression setting does or how well it actually affects the over swf size.  If it's minimal, then I don't see the need to have it checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs. I need some more information.

Do you get this error after you have kept Captivate open for a long time and worked on this project or any other for quite sometime? OR do you see the error as soon as you launch Captivate and open and publish the project?

Some of you responded that you see this issue in an upgraded project (Cp4/Cp3). Pls. confirm whether this issue is seen even in a new project created using Captivate 5.

-Jayashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I currently have the same problem. My company bought this product, and I worked on it every day for the 3 last months.

This software have many bugs that you can get around, but currently I can't finish my work because if this memory problem. (I have captivate 5).

The only solution is to save the swf separetly, but it's no very convenient.

Any ideas how to solve the problem??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is an issue we are currently investigating and have had difficulty isolating the cause. We would appreciate it if you could get on a Connect session and walk us thru the project. Please suggest a time and date (any time next week) for the same. You can mail me directly on shameer at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Shameer

Shameer Ayyappan

Sr. Product Manager - Captivate | Adobe eLearning Suite

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

http://www.facebook.com/adobecaptivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, what about tomorrow, 2pm, sydney hour?

Regards,
Clemence Guilluy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also experiencing this issue.  I have combined 3 files originally created in Captivate 4 into one file in Captivate 5.  When I try to publish the Captivate 5 file, the progress bar indicates it's at 50% generating slides, then I get the "your computer does not have sufficient memory..." error message.  I tried unchecking both of the options mentioned in the previous posts but it did help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It will help if we can set up a Connect session with you also. Let me know what time would be convinient next week.

Mail me at shameer at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Shameer

Adobe Captivate Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved or is it still a work in progress?  I'm still having issues both with upgraded (from CP4) and new CP5 projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you uncheck only  'advanced project compression'  and try with 'compress swf file' checked on.

Also how long do you work with captivate before you see this error? Does it happen immediately or after you have worked for some 20 mins?

A short summary of operations that you commonly perform before you see the error will also be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gokul,

My CP5 trial has expired so I can do no further testing.

I can tell you that the error occurred immediately. What I tested was opening an existing CP file and trying to preview and trying to publish.

Then I tried to create a new CP file and preview and publish.

In all scenarios I received this error. It was solved by unchecking the settings you mention. I think un-ticking both was necessary but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came up against this problem today myself.

With much trial and error, working through the solutions presented above,  I figured out that it was the audio files that were causing my problem.

The PowerPoint slides I imported into Captivate 5 already had the audio inserted. Which works fine -- it seemed.

When Captivate tried to compress the SWF, I kept getting the insufficient memory error.

I removed the audio from the PowerPoint slides, imported them back into Captivate, and inserted the audio in Captivate. Now the project published with no problem.

I realize this won't be the solution everyone's problem, but I hope this helps someone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 17, 2010 Oct 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello M*I*K*E,

Is  it possible to share the PPT file with the Audio where you are  observing this problem? The Audio you were using in PPT, was it a WAV file? Also, unchecking the "Advanced Project  Compression", did it work for you? Please send the file to viswanat@adobe.com

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2010 Oct 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - my Captivate file did have audio files but they did not originate from PPT like Mike's. Mine were recorded directly in Captivate. I also received the error on a newly created CP file without audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge, it's still a work in progress.  I was able to duplicate the issue for the engineers and they did indicate further work was needed.  Using the clear cache option in CP5 does help some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2011 Feb 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My similar message states, "Error   Your computer does not have sufficient memory resources to compress the SWF file."

My project contains 80 slides and was created in Captivate 4.  I'm also trying to Preview the project when I receive the message above.

I unclicked the "Advanced project compression" and "Compress SWF file" buttons.  The project contains an audio voiceover which was created right in this project.  The project also contains buttons on almost every slide for advancing to the next slide, going to the previous and pausing and playing.

Please advise how to preview and finally publish the project.

Thank you,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow up to my last post....my Adobe Captivate 4 project contains 80 slides.

I experimented a bit and previewed the first 50 slides by selecting Preview defaults: 50 under the Edit and Preferences menu

• Both the "Advanced project compression" AND "Compress SWF file" buttons were checked,

it took approx. 18 minutes for the show to begin

• Both buttons unchecked, it took approx. 2 minutes for the show to begin

• "Advanced project compression" unchecked and the "Compress SWF file" checked,

it took approx. 15 minutes for the show to begin

When previewing the entire 80 slide project with both buttons checked, after 4 minutes, the project stopped generating "Progress:  Writing SWF File Tags to Stream" and the message, "Error  Your computer does not have sufficient memory resources to perform this operation.  Do the following: - Check one or more options in the Externalize Resources list, and re-publish.  - Close other applications open on your computer.  You might have to close and reopen Adobe Captivate before publishing the file.  <<I had no other applications open on my computer and I wasn't trying to publish this project, just preview it>>

When previewing the entire 80 slide project with both buttons unchecked, it took approx. 6 minutes for the show to begin

When previewing the entire 80 slide project with "Advanced project compression" unchecked and the "Compress SWF file" checked, after 15 minutes, the project stopped generating "Progress:  Writing SWF File Tags to Stream" and the message, "Error Your computer does not have sufficient memory resources to compress the SWF file" displayed

Please advise.........

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2011 Feb 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood your concern.

The reason is " When  you externalize resources, they reside outside the swf file and are  referencedfrom within the file when published.

So what you need to do is

Click  on Edit on the top file menu, then go to Prefernces>  Project >  Publish Settings (under PROJECT) > Externalize resources and select  the third option FMR SWF. Click OK and then Publish

I hope it will work. Waiting for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem and fortunately i had a meeting with the Captivate team that helped me to "fix" it.

If your computer is powerful enought, you should be able to finalise your project. Captivate 5 is not perfect (but still one of the best in the market so far), so when I work all day on the software, it becomes "lazy". When I'm about to finish a project, I always have to close Captivate and then re-open the all application with my project, then launch the export. If it does not work, I fixed it by retarting the computer. It's not the best way but it worked for me!

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vish and ChimenceSE,

Thank you for the quick replies.

I selected the third option of clicking on FMR SWF as Vish suggested and had both the "Advanced project compression" and "Compress SWF file" buttons selected.  After 30+ minutes of clicking the "Preview" project button, this worked.  It took much longer than I expected, but it worked.  Should I always have the FMR SWF clicked as a best practice?  Should I do this for Widgets and Animations also?

I then wanted to send it to my supervisor for review. When I clicked on "Publish" and then "Review" it began to precess but then froze up again with the message "Error  Your computer does not have sufficient memory resources to compress the SWF file."

At this point I followed ChimenceSE's advice and completely shut everything down, booted up again with only Captivate running and was able to create the review files after 30+ minutes.

Although this moreorless worked, is there anything I can add hardware or software wise to my computer to make this happen quicker and while I'm able to do work with other software at the same time?  Completely shutting down everytime I need to do this will cause many problems with other things I am working on at the same time.

Thanks again and please advise,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you publish a project as a SWF file, a single SWF file is produced.

To reduce the size of the SWF file, you can choose to externalize some of its objects (skin, widgets, FMR SWF file, and animations).

After publishing, the externalized resources reside outside the SWF file, and are referenced by it.

SO what you can do is first Go to prefences, select the apprpriate option in EXTERNALIZE RESOURCES and then publish it. So you will not face this again in your future. For small SWF files even if you don't choose any option, its OK , however for large SWF files you need to choose FMR SWF option.

By doing this you will get rid of shutting all programs or rebooting etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

1) When you need to preview/publish the file intermediately i.e. when you are mid-way authoring your project or want to send the project for review, follow this to possibly avoid this issue:

(i) In the preferences dialog at Project -> Publish Settings, check all the checkboxes under 'Externalize Resourses'.

(ii) In the preferences dialog at Project -> SWF Size and Quality, uncheck these checkboxes : Advanced Project Compression, Compress SWF File, and      Compress FMR SWF file.

2) When you need to publish your project for the FINAL time i.e. for deployment, follow these steps to possible avoid this issue:

Re-start your machine - Make sure NO un-necessary programs are running (especially any back up generation software) - Launch Captivate and open your project. Now:

(i) First, in the preferences dialog at Project -> SWF Size and Quality, uncheck these checkboxes : Advanced Project Compression.

(ii) If you still see the issue then, in the preferences dialog at Project -> SWF Size and Quality, uncheck these checkboxes : Advanced Project Compression, Compress SWF File and Compress FMR SWF file ( if you have FMR swfs in your project).

(iii) If you still see the issue then, follow step (ii) and in the preferences dialog at Project -> Publish Settings, check all the checkboxes under 'Externalize Resourses'.

Do let me know if these steps helped you resolve your issue.

-Manish

blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2012 Apr 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been addressed in CP 6? I'm still restarting constantly with video heavy lessons... as well as bypassing compression. Seems pretty important that we get this worked out. Students like media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you just need to make your video a little less 'heavy' to reduce load on the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... we're in an HD world now, and that's the compressor's job. As demonstrated by the recommended fix (disabling all compression), Captivate is currently great at making enormous uncompressed files, but a Shockwave file's main strength (in my opinion)- presenting low drag media, seems to be missing from Captivate when dealing with HD video for use in HD training projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources