Highlighted

Adding clickboxes

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we upgraded to Captivate 2017 from Captivate 7, I have noticed my master slides have a trait now which was not present is version 7. Most of our lessons require the addition of 3 clickboxes. In version 7 I would add them in a specic order to the slide and the last one was always on the top of the slide timeline. Now the first one I add is on the top and the next two are added underneath the first one on the timeline. I am dealing with it but can not find what to change to have the clickboxes stack on top of each other in the timeline as I add them in this version of Captivate.

TOPICS
Advanced, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adding clickboxes

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we upgraded to Captivate 2017 from Captivate 7, I have noticed my master slides have a trait now which was not present is version 7. Most of our lessons require the addition of 3 clickboxes. In version 7 I would add them in a specic order to the slide and the last one was always on the top of the slide timeline. Now the first one I add is on the top and the next two are added underneath the first one on the timeline. I am dealing with it but can not find what to change to have the clickboxes stack on top of each other in the timeline as I add them in this version of Captivate.

TOPICS
Advanced, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 12, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has never been possible to put click boxes on master slides. What do you mean?

Moreover stacking interactive objects will cause issues for HTML output as well.

In Fluid Boxes (responsive) projects you cannot use click boxes in normal fluid boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, let me clarify. I have master slides in a template which I use to add, screen images, avatars, text...etc. After all of the place holders are used on a slide I start to add highlights, and clickboxes. Adding the clickboxes to a slide is where the clickboxes do not stack on top of each other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See what you mean, but if they are not in the same location, what does it matter? You can always use Arrange to change the stack order, or drag the timelines. I suspect it is because the old click box is some of the objects doomed to disappear... Why not use a shape button? 

Log a bug report if this is really very important.  Didn't even see this because I almost never use a click box since version 6 when shapes appeared which could be used as buttons, can be timed for the rest of the project, used on master slides, quiz slides and be filled with any image (except SVGs).

I see the word 'template', do you mean a cptl-file? Be careful... they have some problems especially if they include variables and advanced actions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 12, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am always looking for better ways to do things so let me explain my workflow and my reason for using click boxes. Now I am a Captivate 2 user originally, so click boxes are elements I am used to. My projects are to teach users how to use our accounting system, so it is for the most part application training.

1. The main parts of each slide is the screenshot of the application screen, an avatar and a textbox of what the avatar is saying.

2: The screen elements has a wrapper around it for branding purposes and an item we call the Resource Center. The Resource Center allows the learner to view a source document or job aid if applicable.

3: Each slide will have at a minimum one click box to advance to the next slide by either clicking on something from the screenshot or a foward arrow.

4: Most slides can have up to 3 clickboxes:

a: Resource Center clickbox - Visible by default. An optional clickbox to the learner. This clickbox does

not have a pause or any success/failure message associated.

b: Job Aid/Source Document clickbox - Hidden by Default. This clickbox becomes visible when the

learner clicks the Resource Center clickbox. This clickbox hides the Job Aid/Source Document

displayed when a learner uses the Resource Center clickbox. This clickbox has a pause and failure

message  associated and his hidden when selected.

c: Application clickbox - Visible by default. Has a pause and failure message associated with it. This

clickbox is hidden when the learner uses the Resource Center clickbox. Then becomes visible when

the learner clicks the Job Aid/Source Document clickbox.

4: My workflow is to add the Resource Center clickbox first, then the Job Aid/Supporting Document

second, and finally the Application clickbox. This puts the Application clickbox on top of the timeline.

In Captivate 2017, I do reorder the clickboxes in the timeline now to make things work, however in Captivate 7, if I added the clickboxes as stated in step 4 the timeline order was always correct and as long as my advanced actions were set up correctly my project worked as expected. Just trying to figure out why Captivate 2017 is bahaving differently.

If I used shape buttons as you suggest, I would still need these three and the buttons would have to be transparent. Knowing alittle more about my projects do you still suggest shape buttons?

We are not a mobile environment and are not looking to ever go that direction either. Purely a PC/Notebook browser based environment.

Thanks for your willingness to share ideas.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2019 0
Lilybiri LATEST
Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I still would use shape buttons, although in a software simulation TEB's and click boxes are added automatically. I'm sure you would benefit from the fact that a shape button can be timed for the rest of the project and shown/hidden using its ID. I always have an object style for shape buttons which is transparent if necessary. 

As I wrote before, stacking interactive objects was not a problem for SWF output but can lead to issues for HTML output. It still looks, since you talk about stacking order, that you want to stack those click boxes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 17, 2019 0