• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Assigning shortcuts to keys for screenreaders

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assigning shortcuts to keys for accessibility and would like to know if there are standards on how you assign keys. For instance, should a 
"Continue" button be "Enter" or "Shift+E"?   Or the "Exit" button be assigned "End" or ?   Are there standards or should I assign them and  include the shortcuts on the navigation page?  The 508 rules are killing me!!!  I would appreciate any tips, thank you.

Carol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently struggling with accessibility too! I found a good video on YouTube dealing specifically with this and other accessibility considerations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dlyes5sDB0 See if you find it helpful as well.

I think there are some common shortcuts, but they don't always work within Captivate courses, like tabbing, which I haven't found to be reliable. 

My plan is to include keyboard shortcut descriptions in my audio so users are sure of what they should click, even if I've created a "non-standard" shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Mary...

I will view the video. I recently found a video on Lynda.com, by Adobe's Guru,Pooja, and it is also excellent. Let me know if you use Captivate, or have access to Lynda.com, if not I can share what I learned.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, here is a link to the JAWS screen-reader keystrokes. JAWS Keystrokes

One thing I just discovered today is that the JAWS quick keys can sometimes cause a conflict with your course navigation. Before my quizzes, I will now be instructing learners who use JAWS to disable the quick key for "spans," which is the letter 'y' because it causes the learner to get stuck in the quiz when they submit an answer then have to press 'y' to continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good info, thank you Mary!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources