• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best LMS for Captivate with GoDaddy Website???

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!!

I am a Special Education teacher tasked with developing e-learning modules for our company BIG LIFE Publishing LLC. We cover social-emotional curriculum and are starting our focus audience on the 10-12 range. The people who would be using our program would be teachers, counselors, and families. The children or clients will go through each of the modules to earn their "Key" for a BIG Life! We also want a separate platform for those who need to become Keys Coaches, i.e. those eligible (certified) to teach the KEYS to others. In addition to a community forum such as this one where people can post and discuss questions.

We need advice on what the best LMS would be for this avenue of learning. Captivate Prime is great but it is per student and that is not where we are at yet in this process. Mostly the counselors, teachers, or parents would access the progress.

We have all the Adobe CC Suite, Stock, Captivate, and Video Presenter Express. We have a website on GoDaddy (needs development to incorporate all these components but that is for another place).

What would work best??? A subscription type plan where you sign up for a month, year, etc. OR (what we were thinking) pay by course.

If anyone has personal experience in this sort of field we would LOVE some advice. One of the Adobe Animator presenters recommended us posting our questions to this forum as he said "you all" are a wealth of knowledge.

Thank you in advance for your input and recommendations!

Natalie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that I think you may want to consider is the LMS is SCORM compliant.  Basically, Captivate (and other elearing authoring programs) communicate with an LMS through SCORM.  This allows you to to track learner data (quiz scores, slide progressions, clicks, etc.).  

https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/

To me, that's the big advantage to an LMS over just hosting projects on a website.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Natalie, welcome!

I am a bit confused by the title, the website has no releation with the LMS which you would be using to manage access to the courses because the courses have to be uploaded to the LMS, not to the website. GoDaddy is a webhost. 

Moodle is a free LMS, for basic functionality it works OK. If you want to extend the functionality you'll need some expert to achieve that. LMS's can become very expensive. If you talk about a limited group, why not try out SCORM Cloud? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would second the idea of Moodle.

It is not always the most straight forward to use but it is free, it has many years of maturity and it is stable and reliable.

Sometimes, web hosting company offer simple install of the required database and systems to add Moodle to your account. Otherwise, Moodle Cloud is now available for free but is limited, like ScormCloud to a small amount of users, which is great for testing.

Let us know what system you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to consider Adobe Captivate Prime. Certainly, it has to be the most compatible with Adobe Captivate projects (one would hope). What I like about Prime is that it scales as your needs increase. The basic price structure is $4 per month per learner with a minimum of 10 users so you can run prime for as little as $40 per month. Obviously, as your needs increase so does the price as well. If you are an organization that can reuse licenses i.e. when one learner moves on you can use that license for a new learner who comes on board, you can save that way. Prime is a cloud solution so there is no need to purchase a separate web service to simply act as a doorway to this LMS. Everything is hosted by Adobe and the Prime team can have you up and running within a day. Most importantly it offers great reporting options as well including level 1 and 3 evaluations (something many LMS miss).

Adobe Captivate Prime - Buying Guide

Paul Wilson, CTDP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have used Moodle on GoDaddy for 14 years and now serve 4,000 K-12 students. We began with shared hosting but outgrew it in less than a year, so don't waste your time with the budget shared-hosting package. Their virtual dedicated packages (you can move up without migrating your site) served us through a lot of growth all the way up until three years ago at the end of the Moodle 1.9 version life cycle. We decided to move on up to a dedicated server when we moved to version 2.9 and this coming June we will move ahead to the version 3. It shouldn't be too hard to set up a Moodle instance on your server.

We have thousands of Captivate lessons that we have built, both as SCORM and SWF/HTML5 that we use both within the Moodle LMS and in our public files outside of it.

On the question of per course or subscription, likely the per course model will give you many more free turn-key types of Moodle plug-ins. Likely with a subscription model it will be a much more manual process to have to keep up with. You should still research it though. We are a donation supported project, so I haven't had a need to look deeply into it, so my knowledge only scratches the surface in the pay methods.

I would definitely join the community over at Moodle. It is very active and, usually, you can get a reply to a question quickly related to Moodle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources