Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to publish captivate videos on SharePoint

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am a fairly new captivate user, and I finally am ready to publish my first video.  There seems to be a lot of debate on the best way to publish, and I'm trying to find the method that is easiest for the end user to view.  I tried doing swf, but w/o having captivate installed they were not able to view.  They are being posted on our companies SharePoint page.  I published as a video, but then end users have to download.  Trying to find a way to publish where the end user would not have to download.   Any incite would be greatly appreciated. 

Best,

Maro

TOPICS
Advanced , Project upgrade , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with Sharepoint. Are you talking about passive video or about interactive eLearning courses? That is a big difference. Here is a link to a blog about using CP on Sharepoint:

Adobe Captivate 2019 vs. SharePoint: The Issue is real. - eLearning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter which publishing output you choose your end users will always end up having to 'download' the content in order to view it.  End users don't need Captivate on their systems to view the output.  The two main types are SWF (with an HTM page that launches the SWF) or HTML5.  Both can be viewed in web browsers.  However, the ideal delivery platform for Captivate output is from a web server or LMS.

As the link Lilybiri provided will tell you, SharePoint is not the recommended platform for Captivate e-learning output.  SharePoint is more designed for delivery of single files such as a Word document, video file, or a PPT deck.  Captivate's interactive e-learning output is actually a collection of files that are linked to each other in special ways.  You cannot just download one of these files and everything work.  That's why you need a web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have three options, but all of them have their downsides:

1) Publish the captivate project as an .mp4 in an iframe - dowside: no interactiveness

Embed a video from Office 365 Video - Office Support

2) Publish the captivate project as an .swf, upload it to sharepoint library, and then create an iframe wherever you want to put the video - downside: will only play in IE

https://html-css-js.com/html/generator/iframe/

3) Publish the captivate project as html5. It will create a bunch of folders and files what you need to upload to sharepoint. Then, create a web part page, and add a content editor web part. Reference the index.html of the captivate package into the webpart and save.

You then need to start debugging and update the relative references in all the files to absolute URLs, as sharepoint doesn't support relative references. Alternatively, you could try to create a jquery or JSON script to update the references automatically - downside: pain in the a**, and impossible without web development knowledge.

Sharepoint is not for this kind of stuff, but I understand sometimes you need to use SP in your organisation.

I have been facing this issue as well, I'm just 3 months ahead of you

Currently experimenting with jquery to try to automate the update of the URLs.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised today that if you publish the Captivate project as .swf, you can embed it as an object in a script editor on sharepoint that will allow it to be played on all browsers.

Steps to follow:

1) upload the .swf onto a sharepoint folder

2) get the link to the file

3) navigate to the page you want to put the .swf

4)edit page, insert a script editor web part

create an <object> tag:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="https://yoursharepointsite/thefolderyouputthefile/yourfile.swf" width="960px" height="415px"></object>

width and height is up to you..

Option B:

Alternatively you can create a collapsible <div> so if you put multiple swf-s on the page they wont load immediately and slow the page:

same way, add a script editor webpart and add the below code:

<head>

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.4.0/css/bootstrap.min.css">

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.3.1/jquery.min.js"></script>

<script src="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.4.0/js/bootstrap.min.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<div class="container">

<h2>This is the name of the Swf</h2>

<p>This can be a short intro for the SWF</p>

<button type="button" class="btn btn-info" data-toggle="collapse" data-target="#demo">This is the button that shows or hides the interactive SWF</button>

<div id="demo" class="collapse">

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="https://yoursharepointsite/thefolderyouputthefile/yourfile.swf" width="960px" height="415px"></object>

</div>

</div>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave,

That's a REALLY bad plan.  You're going to get yourself and your organisation into a lot of bother with this approach because Flash and SWF will suddenly stop working for you one day when your organisational browser of choice gets updated.

For some years now Adobe has notified the world that Flash and SWF will no longer be supported after 2020.  Many web browsers already no longer support it.  If you're lucky enough to have a browser available that still supports Flash, that's only really a temporary situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources