• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 2017 slide settings

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does the last slide of my training program show up for a split second and then shows the pass or fail status from the learning platform?  Upon entering that last slide, the action is "continue" and on exit it is "exit".  All help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the on entry action to "no action".  I assume there's a button to exit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have also tried "no action" on entry but I get the same result.  I do not have an exit button as the program is supposed to move to completion once all slides have been viewed - advice on this as well would be appreciated - thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long is the last slide?

If you have an Exit action on slide exit, that is more than likely what is causing the issue. Try removing that and see how it behaves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work either but thank you for the info.  I'm wondering if the LMS itself has any affect on the settings used in captivate or are they pretty much universal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know. I have never seen a course close on it's own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exit actions are often blocked if the course is playing inside a frameset because closing the module might close down the entire browser window, including the LMS window.

Dave asked how long the final slide is.  I'd also like to know that.  How many seconds is the timeline set to run for on that last slide?

Also, what do you have set in Project Preferences for the Project End Action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is to answer that last two replies...  sorry I missed the length of the slide - it is about 1 minute long.  The project end option is "stop project".  This is the last slide of the presentation but does not follow a quiz question slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the last slide doing this on the first time the course module is played all the way through, or are you talking about a bookmarked session where the course module was completed all the way through by the user and then they closed the module down?

What you are seeing might just be the course module jumping straight to the bookmark point on the slide where the user finished, i.e. the last slide.  That would explain the behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the first time the course is played all the way through

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the timeline of that slide? Is this a slide after a score

slide, ending a quiz?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could there be an issue with the web object (or is that just a text caption displaying a URL)?

Try uploading to SCORM cloud to see if it's your LMS having an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know much technical stuff - took a beginner class a couple of years ago and taught myself the rest.  I have been working with my LMS trying to figure out what the problems are and they have told me to change a few settings here and there and sometimes it works but it also seems to create another set of problems...like this one I'm writing about.  I have viewed it in the scorm cloud and it seems to work the way it should.  I am really at a loss as to what to do to make these courses work right.  I am so grateful for all the feedback from everyone to help me try and solve these issues.  I have also ordered a book for more advanced learning which should be here next week but I'm sure I will still have many questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works the way it should in SCORM Cloud you can pretty much assume that the issue is with your own LMS.  SCORM Cloud is more or less the 'gold standard' when it comes to SCORM compliance for the LMS world.  Each LMS seems to take a slightly different view on how the standard should be interpreted and that can lead to some widely differing behaviours.

I'm wondering if your LMS is terminating the session a moment or so after it sees data from the course (e.g. data from the Quiz Result slide) because it thinks the module has ended at that point.

Is there a quiz in this module with a Quiz Result slide?

What happens if you put a button on that final slide with a pause point about 3 seconds in?  Does the session still terminate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have quiz questions throughout the presentation and it does have a quiz results slide - I put this before the last two slides of the presentation - don't know if this would affect anything.  Where would I put the button - directly on the slide...what would I call it?  I haven't worked with buttons yet lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just intended as a test to see if the LMS is closing the module even though it should NOT have reached the final frame of the final slide.

Put the the button on the final slide.  It doesn't matter what you call it.  Just make sure it is set to pause the timeline after a few seconds into the slide,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you Rod - I will give this a try tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Rod.  Can you please let me know how I put a pause on the button and where it should be on the timeline..  This is what I did but it didn't change the result.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  What you did should have stopped the timeline and prevented any Exit actions set to execute at the END of the timeline from happening.

But if you say that the module still closed unexpectedly, then I think what must be happening is that your LMS is terminating the session as soon as it believes the module is Complete.  You may need to look at the way your LMS has this course set up.  It seems to be inordinately eager to get the module finished.

You mentioned earlier that you have the module set to be marked complete once all slides are viewed.  Try changing this setting so that it DOES NOT get marked complete simply because all slides are viewed.  If there is a quiz in this module, set completion to only happen if the Quiz is Passed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks so much for all of your insights Rod - it is truly appreciated!  I have already tried the completion settings for the quiz too...to no avail.  I do have a call into our LMS to try and fix this, but because I have been having so many issues, I thought it might be errors at my end.... I really don't think so.  It seems every time my LMS has a fix, something else goes wrong lol.  Anyway, thanks again for all your help and enjoy the rest of your day

Thank you to everyone else who responded and for trying to help as well - appreciate it from everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest fix if your LMS cannot change its operation would be to have a totally blank slide of short duration (0.2 sec or so) after your current final slide. The LMS should allow your long goodbye slide to play, and then it could abort on the the blank slide.

@Rod - would it make any difference if the final button is scored with zero points even though the primary quiz is already finished? Or would that mess up the quiz navigation and results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan - that actually sounds like a great idea!  I will try this - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I also think Dan's idea is a good one.  If the LMS is indeed killing the session as soon as it thinks completion has been achieved, then adding one more slide might be a simple fix.

But either way, it's not a great idea for an LMS to do something like this because if completion was being calculated on achieving a passing score in the quiz then it would likely also kill the session as soon as the learner hit the passing score as well, meaning that it might kill the session at the start of the Quiz Results slide and not allow you to deliver any information after that point.

Hopefully the issue with the LMS can also be resolved by some simple setting fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Rod - yes, I agree - the LMS people have to fix this.  It is still not ending right as the user is not moved to completion upon a fail, instead, it gives the option to take the course again right away by clicking the continue button.  We need fails documented so they are trying to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources