• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate and Our Home Network

Explorer ,
May 26, 2006 May 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since we have the Trial Version for right now, I cannot find a place to ask a technical person this question.

We have a small home business and my husband and I have a network.

When I downloaded the free trial version, all of a sudden, he would be knocked off the network and so would I.

Captivate still works fine on my computer, but he cannot access the network while I'm using it.

We are considering purchasing Captivate, but if it will cause problems to our current structure, it may not be worth it.

Any help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2006 May 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I also have a home network and use Captivate routinely. I have 4 computers and a printer hooked up to my cable modem via a linksys router. I have never had the problem you describe.

I would look at how your router is set up.

If you are not using a router and are instead using a "share this resource" setting on one of the computers (ie; you have one computer hooked up to your internet connection and the other computer sharing this "resource") then that is likely the source of your problem.

Captivate by its nature will take up a lot of a computer's resources.

I hope this helps,

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2006 Jun 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TP, you wrote:

I also have a home network and use Captivate routinely. I have 4 computers and a printer hooked up to my cable modem via a linksys router. I have never had the problem you describe.

I would look at how your router is set up.

If you are not using a router and are instead using a "share this resource" setting on one of the computers (ie; you have one computer hooked up to your internet connection and the other computer sharing this "resource") then that is likely the source of your problem.

----------------------------------

Can you explain what you mean by "share this resource?" Is that referring to sharing the router?

What we did was . . . my husband cleaned off his computer and reset everything (including access to the shared folders on our network).

But it still seems as though whenever I'm in Captivate on my computer, he cannot transfer files over the network, it becomes very slow.

The question is . . .
What can we do on my end with this free Trial of Captivate (and ultimately when we get the full version) so that this doesn't happen? This problem didn't occur until after I installed in the free version.

Why does my working on Captivate on my computer, without even having the network folder open cause this type of problem for him and our laptops which are also connected?

The error message he is now getting says something like "the path is too deep." Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Can you give me any suggestions on WHAT our router setting should be for file transfer speed? Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks
Pam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2006 Jun 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pam,

I am sorry that you are having shch difficulty.

To answer your question about sharing a connection…

Windows 98 and later have a built-in Internet Connection Sharing tool. It lets one PC share its Internet connection (a broadband connection or even a modem connection) with other PCs. With Internet connection sharing, you won't need a router, but the other PCs won't be able to access the Internet unless the main PC, the one that's sharing its connection, is turned on.
Internet Connection Sharing eliminates the need for a router, but you'll still have to connect the computers into a network. For sharing a modem connection between two computers, a simple, cheap Ethernet cable will do the job. If you have more than two computers, you can use an inexpensive Ethernet hub to connect them together. Internet connection sharing will even work if you have wireless access cards in each PC but no wireless router.

I assume from your reply that you are connected via a router. There are so many possible router setting issues that without knowing how your home networking system is set up it is difficult to troubleshoot.

The first thing to try is turning off online help.

Captivate uses a connection to an online help system which means that it wants to have that internet connection in case you want to call the help file. You can choose to use offline help instead by going to the Help menu and selecting that option.

As far as router settings are concerned.....

I am currently not at home, so I can’t tell you what settings I have on my router, but I can tell you that I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Router with a 4 port switch.
I have DHCP enabled (rather than static IP addresses)

If you are somewhat technically inclined there are several things that can be looked at:

Is your router using the latest firmware? Check with the manufacturer, it could be that there is a firmware issue.

One possible test…
Open a command prompt on both machines and type:
ipconfig/all

Now compare the settings. If they are the same you might have a bad NIC card or cable on the router. (unlikely, but worth a check)

Is your Cable Modem a very old one? If it is it might be rated for only 5mb/sec. (again, this is unlikely, but possible).

Is your router's DHCP server enabled?

Also, make sure that the Local Area Connection properties are chosen correctly:

Control Panel ->
Network Connections ->
Right-click on Local Area Conection ->
Click on Properties ->
Under the General tab, and in the "This connection uses the following items:" window, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- however, to make it visible, you may need to scroll all the way down using the scroll bar that is on the right ->
Click Properties ->
Make sure that items "Obtain an IP automatically" AND "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are both checked/selected. ->
Click OK to close all the window
Reboot your pc to effect the changes made

Is your router using DHCP? If so you might try assigning a static IP address (in the router) to your different machines. (needless to say, write down ALL your original settings before making any changes).

Other than these checks I'm sorry but I can't offer any quick solutions. I'll try to remember to check my settings when I get home and send you a check list.

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2006 Jun 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pam,

Here are the general settings for my router: These are pretty standard.

IP Address: Supplied by the ISP distribution node
DHCP Server: Enabled

SPI: Disabled
Block WAN Request: Enabled
Multicast Pass Through: Enabled
IPSec Pass Through: Enabled
PPTP Pass Through: Enabled
Remote Management: Disabled
MTU: Disabled

Dynamic Routing: Disabled
Working Mode: Gateway

Static Routing: Unused

I hope this helps

TPK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2006 Jun 07, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello Pam,

I would hate to imply that Captivate might be causing your router to shut off access to the internet, but its one that needs to be investigated. Most routers have a log on them. Take a look a that. You may need to increase the level of logging that is happening before this sort of information would be recorded.

Also, when this happens, does your network heartbeat flash at a really fast rate? The network heartbeat is the flashing lights on your network card. Take a look at how fast it normally flashes without Captivate running, then launch Captivate to see if it increases dramatically, or even becomes a solidly lit light.

Hopefully this information, along with the information TPK is requesting, will allow us to help you further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources