Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delay next actions until audio has finished playing

New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I'm on CP2017 and have the following issue and I'm wondering whether I am missing the obvious.

I have a slide where I would like the following behaviour:

As you enter the slide, an audio file will play (it's 9 seconds long). Once the audio file has finished playing, a video object on the slide should start playing automatically.

So I have created an advanced action that gets triggered on slide entry that looks like this:

Step 1: Play Audio

Step 2: Delay Next Actions By 10 seconds

Step 3: Execute JavaScript to start playing the video object

Step 4: Continue

This all works amazingly when I test locally (all HTML5).  However, when I play this through our LMS, occasionally it happens that when you enter the slide, the initial audio will not start immediately, presumably due to a loading and buffering issue. Which means that what happens is:

1) Slide shows, fires advanced action

2) Audio gets triggered through Step 2 in the Advanced Action but does not start playing until two or three seconds later.

3) In the meantime 10 seconds count down and then start the video object. But because the audio was a few seconds late, the audio file is still playing when the video starts.

So - I'm guessing what I would REALLY want is an advanced action that looks like this:

Step 1: Play Audio

Step 2: Wait until Audio has finished playing

Step 3: Trigger the video

However, I'm equally guessing that an advanced action equivalent to step 2 doesn't exist.

Sorry, I hope my description makes sense. Any ideas how I could work around this?

Many thanks

Martin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

There may be a solution with JS. However: is it really necessary to have both audio and video playing on the same slide? Both have to be loaded On Enter, and it is very difficult to estimate how much time that will take because this is not a fixed time but depends on so many parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a solution with JS. However: is it really necessary to have both audio and video playing on the same slide? Both have to be loaded On Enter, and it is very difficult to estimate how much time that will take because this is not a fixed time but depends on so many parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me start by saying sorry that it has taken me that long to reply. Thank you for taking the time to answer. You're absolutely right, it is NOT necessary to have both playing on the same slide. I was trying to look for a solution to a problem that really did not need to be as complex as I made it. I distributed the content across two slides now and am really not sure why I didn't think of it in the first place

Many thanks again!

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources