Highlighted

Extracting Screenshot from Video Recording...

Contributor ,
May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have known that Software Simulation does not capture all the screens in Virtual Machine (VM),

For that reason, Video Recording is recommended.

My question:

Is there a way to extract Screenshot from the Video Recording?

So I can extract few screenshots and then convert them into the Software Simulation.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Extracting Screenshot from Video Recording...

Contributor ,
May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have known that Software Simulation does not capture all the screens in Virtual Machine (VM),

For that reason, Video Recording is recommended.

My question:

Is there a way to extract Screenshot from the Video Recording?

So I can extract few screenshots and then convert them into the Software Simulation.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I record software simulation, which for me is the preferred method of creating software training, I am very deliberate with the actions I make. I avoid scrolling and other activities that force the recording into full motion recording. I also manually capture additional screenshots whenever possible. I may not ultimately need them but with video demo you are limited in converting that to something interactive.

Here are some videos I've done about the process of it helps.

Adobe Captivate Software Simulation Part 1 https://youtu.be/lw2UnrmwHPs

Adobe Captivate Software Simulation Part 2 https://youtu.be/9_yhb1QIICw

Also you might find this interesting as well.

Captivate Software Simulation Roundtripping with Photoshop https://youtu.be/-fJb-Ke4cgI

Paul Wilson, CTDP | https://captivateteacher.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Appreciate your response, please consider my comments as follows:

When I record simulation (in Virtual Machine), my steps are shown in the image 1 and image 2 below.

However, after recording, all my slides show up as image 3. It does not record the dialog boxes as shown in image 1 & 2.

Please note that when some Windows dialog box Pops-up, it does record that but it does not capture some installation screens. It does not capture installation loading screen as well.

Also, manual screen capture (Print Screen) button does not work either.

1.png2.png0.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand the problem. Some applications when not residing on the same system do cause that type of issues when using software simulations. The alternative is indeed to use Video Demo (which I always use to replace software simulations in demo mode as well to avoid problems with FMR slides).

The video demo editor doesn't have a feature to extract static slides from a Video Demo. I think you need to use a real video application for that purpose, like Premiere Pro. However it is a pity that you cannot use the raw cpvc file in PP, but only a published MP4 file, which means decrease in quality of course.

DId you ever try to use another capture application like Snagit to capture a static slide on a VM?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aixtron LATEST
Contributor ,
May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Thank you for your response. At least I know that Video Demo Editor does not have a capability to take a Screenshot.

Please note that when I was recording Software Simulation in VM, my captivate was installed into the VM.

Also, I tried the same thing with my Desktop (with Captivate installed on the Desktop), recording Software Simulation on the Desktop, but Captivate did not capture those screens.

However, I have been able to resolve this as follows:

• Take screen capture with Snagit or MS Snipping tool
  • or by simply using ALT+PrtScr or CTRL+PrtScr and pasting it in good old MS Paint program.

Anyway, it seems there may not be any solution for this problem with Captivate.

Once again, thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group