• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Can I restore a project if I have the published ZIP file?

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New user to Captivate here.  Long story short... it appears that I was saving my project to Onedrive and there are naming errors.  I have now read that I should only be saving to my local drive. I will certainly make that correction moving forward.  But now with hours of work in and a demo tomorrow, I'm scrambling.  Is there anyway I can either fix the OneDrive files that are showing errors and fix my project?  Or if I have the zip file from when I published my project to my computer.. can I do anything with that to restore my project in Captivate?  Any other ideas?  Thank you in advance.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to resurrect a project CPTX from the published output.  But if you were only working on the project file recently and you have not cleared the Captivate cache folder, then you might still be able to recreate the CPTX from the correct cache subfolder.

Basically, what happens is that each time you work on a Captivate CPTX file there is a folder created inside your Project Cache folder and all of your changes to the file are first done inside that folder.  (You can locate your Project Cache folder by looking in Captivate under Edit > Preferences > Global > Default Locations.  One of those locations will be for the cache.)  However,  if you haven't cleared out the cache in a long time then it's likely there will be dozens of folders in there and they are NOT labelled in such a way that you can easily locate the one that applies to the CPTX project file you need to resurrect.

You may find some useful information about all of this in this older post on my website: https://www.infosemantics.com.au/?q=adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/recover-corrupt-project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the reply.  Now if I just understood why the issues with Onedrive 🙂  but for now, I'll save local and figure out a backup strategy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First thing you should do is make sure you have Backups turned on inside Preferences.  That will save your bacon most of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources