Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS Settings dealing with Kaplan ComplianceWire

Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm building my first course using Captivate 5 and I'm running into some issues in dealing with our LMS (Kaplan ComplianceWire).

It seems that the course can be exited by any means and the user will recieve credit (Exit button off the playbar, browser red "x").

The desire is that they would ned to complete their respective section and get to the end of the course before receiving a completion.

The course is sepearated into 2 sections, depending on which button is clicked at the start of the course.

1 section has a quiz that the user must complete, the other doesn't.

It's set up so the user must get 100% on the quiz (Infinite retakes). upon completion they are re-directed to the last screen in the course, whereupon the end course is set to close project.

the 2nd section also redirects to the last screen in the course.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is not currently set up to allow multiple quizzes in a course where only one quiz is mandatory.  Captivate will consider all of your quiz questions as belonging to the same quiz and mark any that were not completed as failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, the real issue here is that by closing the window that the course opens up in, a user automatically gets credit for the course.

so someone can open the course and close it right away and get credit.

I need the course setup so that they say have to get to their final screen and then close the course to receive credit.

this is what I'm trying to figure out and maybe my settings aren't correct, or maybe this is just how Captivate works.

is there something in the reporting preferneces or publishing settings that can be set to accomplish this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might also be due to the way your LMS works.

MIght I suggest that you try plugging one of your modules into SCORM Cloud and test how it works there.  If you close down the module without completing it, and SCORM Cloud doesn't give the user credit, then I think we can safely say that the error is more likely to be on the side of your LMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I tried it out, and it bookmarked the course fine, but it didn't indicate a completion. It registered a 100 score (due to the quiz), but incomplete and unknown for completion and success statuses.

is there a specific way you need to end a course to get the LMS completion?

upon reaching the last screen the completion should be sent to the LMS, and only by reaching the last screen should the completion be sent.

I have the quiz reporting settings set to complete/incomplete---report: score----report data: slide views only---100---interactions and score in the reporting level field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may find that you actually need to reach the end of the final slide and have the movie either go to another module or else close down before you get completion.

Try that. 

Another suggestion is to try setting your required completion percentage less than 100% because technically it would only ever achieve 100% if you got to the last frame of the last slide and then shut down the movie.  So while your movie was still open it could not be 100% completed.

You could also try using a trial version of the TickTOC widget to mark the final slide as Completed even though you've not actually reached the very last frame.

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-widgets/download-free-trial-widgets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the start/end set to project close on last slide.

I’ve tried setting to less than 100 (and thanks for confirming it’s a %, couldn’t really find that anywhere).

And right now this is extremely basic course. I’m trying to demonstrate a principal we can use in training, so it’s only like 10 slides and the only thing on the screen is text boxes and/or buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each LMS is slightly different in the way they interpret the SCORM standard, leading to quite a lot of (annoying) variety in the way courses behave.

I usually suggest that if you're having any issues with course integration with an LMS, plug the same course/module into SCORM Cloud and see what it does there.  If you find it behaves differently, you can go back to your LMS vendor and ask them how come their LMS behaves differently.  SCORM Cloud is made by Rustici Software, the acknowledged experts in the SCORM area and the people that make a lot of SCORM players for other people's LMS products.

If your LMS is truly SCORM compliant, it should work like SCORM Cloud does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that is the case here. I got the course eventually to work on SCORM Cloud, but it would not work right on their test site (ComplianceWire).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it makes you feel any better, we also are using Kaplan LMS and I am having issues getting my simple Captivate 5.5 modules to work(text boxes, images, and a few test questions). They work fine in the SCORM cloud site, but when our LMS team does functional testing in the stage environment, they are seeing things I am not able to replicate on the SCORM Cloud site. Slightly comforting to know I'm not the only one having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was eventually able to get it working through lots of help from Joe Donnelly.

The one key setting was checking the box labeled "Override Objective and Completion Set by Content True", in the Compatibility tab of the Package properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having issues with Compliance Wire and my captivate project though CW claims all other captivate projects have no problem on their LMS......Where is this setting that you changed?  I don't see that anywhere in Captivate. Is it in CW?  If so, where?  I can tell my client to check that box and see if things work any better.

Thanks!

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lori,

it's actually a setting in CW.

when they upload the zip file there is a link called "Package Properties" under Modify.

When they click that, have them choose "Compatibility Settings".

Then check the box next to "Override Objective and Completion Set By Content to True".

Hope that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

It didn't work for me   I know this is asking a lot, but would you be willing to share your captivate file with me so I can see all your settings? This project is so simple, yet driving me and my client nuts!  Even better is their claim that other cp modules work just fine, but they can't tell me what to be ware of or set....very frustrating as I'm sure you know!  If willing to share, please send to: lorismith@alum.mit.edu

thanks much,

Lori

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I am having similar issues - we are just starting to integrate 3rd party and in-house modules with ComplianceWire.  I can't figure out how to trigger the e-sig in ComplianceWire to register the completion.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2013 Aug 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike!

Forum topic was a little while ago, but was wondering if you ever got a solution to the e-signature and ComplianceWire. I'm having the same issues!!

Thank you!!

Merrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOl, forgot old information and built new account, so celegenSteve is now Highpoint Steve, the originator of this thread.

I actually have a topic open regarding the calling of the e-signature. you can get documentation from UL (formerly Kaplan) regarding how to call it, although it's kind of greek to me.

If you are just getting started Merrick and Mike, there is a setting in ComplianceWire that will automatically apply the e-signature to every SCORM course.

Just go to the Options tab, then e-signature requirements and check the box "Require e-Signatures for SCORM".

This is a global setting, so it will apply to all courses.

if you already have courses that call the e-signature via a Javascript, then the e-sig page will display twice.

hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources