• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old Captivate Files (*.cp)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some projects made in version 3 or 4 (in 2005) the new version 7 of Captivate does not recognise them.

Any Idea on how I can update them to a level that Captivate 7 can open them.

Thanks

TOPICS
Project upgrade

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Hi there,

Captivate 7 cannot open .cp files.

You need to use one of these versions: Captivate 5, or 5.5 or 6, to open .cp files and convert them into .cptx, please let me know if you need the 30 days trial of any of these for conversions.

You need to launch Captivate (5, 5.5 and 6), click on file > open locate that .cp, and save that as .cptx, then that .cptx can be opened in Captivate 7.

You may face some issues with fonts and other settings, since newer versions of Captivate use different renderin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry fo the trouble. I just bought Captivate 2019, but the files I need to open are *.cp. So, I guess I need to get a trial of Captivate 6 for Mac. The new version is awesome!

Thanks for your hard work,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will probably need more than one intermediate version. Since you have files with extension cp, that means they are from version 4 or earlier. You will have a hard time upgrading them. Those files used AS2,,but for all cptx files only AS3 is supported. Now you'll have to use HTML (which means JS) and that is still another beast, because many features you will have in the cp files will not work for HTML5 output. Personally I would never tackle such an upgrade, and I have a lot of experience with Captivate. It will probably be easier/quicker to recover the assets for those old files and to start from scratch in CP2019. Set up a custom theme and theme colors palette, use the Library to import the assets and go ahead. Those functionalities didn't even exist in the old times of cp projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my... These where tough : ). But honestly, they could use a redo. I have more content to add. : )

Thanks for your delivery of bad news. haha.  Here is a link to them incase you were interested. I 3D animated every slide : ) WAY-over board.

http://cnctutorials.com/page/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please, I need access to whatever version will open .cp files.  A trial version will be fine as long as it works for what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I realize this thread is 6 years old, but I am having the same problem in 2020. We have old projects created in Captivate 4 or earlier that are .cp files, and now we need to convert them to a format that we can use in our LMS online. I see from this thread that we need a free trial of Captivate 5, 5.5. or 6 so we can open the .cp files and save them as .cptx, which we can open in Captivate 2019. However, I cannot find these older versions of Captivate available to download anywhere. Can I please get access to one of those older versions of capitvate? Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile Adobe only supports the two most recent versions of each application. That is very bad news of course. You will not be able to find oldeer versions on Adobe anymore.

To be honest, it would be preactically impossibple, even with intermediate versions to upgrade the projects to the present version. Not to talk about you missing all new features. It is an illusion to think that you can upgrade to CP2019 even if you do the intermediate upgrade to 5.5 There have been too many changes. you would need at least 3 intermediate versions and still end up with a not-satisfactory result. 12 years is an eterntiy in IT land.

Only possibility, if those old courses are not very interactive and inear, is to play the output SWF and record it with Video Demo to end up with a mp4 file (passive video). Eventually you could convert it to an interactive video to add some interactivity.

More recent files than CP4 do have a library. It is possible that you can open that Library as external Library. I have succeeded to do so with CP5 ad CP5>5 files. That gives you access to all the assets in the Library to start rrecreation from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone from Adobe Support sent me a link to download version 5. I downloaded it but when I tried to install it there was an error. Very frustrating! Went back to support and got a completlely different attitude - no help whatsoever. Really angry with Adobe. I've spent the whole day trying to install on both mac and pc - absolute joke. The problem is these apps are so old they are 32bit appications on a PC and will only work on Mojave OS or earlier on a mac. Even then, there is no guarantee they will install correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I too need the trial version of Captivate 5, 5.5 or 6 to convert old C3 files. We currently use Captivate 8.

آهنگ جدید 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very old thread. FYI: I am NOT working for Adobe, this is a user forum and I'm just a user like  you.

Since 2014 Adobe has changed its support: it is now limited to the two most recent versions (for Captivate that would be version 10 and 11, also indicated as CP2017 and CP2019). I do repeat what I already answered but it seems you did not read that answer.

Try to contact Adobe in your country, but I am not optimistic about the outcome of your request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources