Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publishing a responsive project as html5 to Moodle

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings dear Captivate Community!

Right now im struggeling in two regards with tryting to publish my current responsive design project to a Moodle with LMS (SCORM 1.2).

1) When im publishing my project I want it to work on Moodle as a html5 version. Right now Moodle only uses the Flash version when I add it to Moodle as a "Learning Package" and add the ZIP file. After publishing my responsive project the ZIP still contains the .swf, .pdf, and multiscreen.html file as discussed here:Publishing with Captivate 2017 in both Flash and HTML5 at the same time .

The first thing I don't understand is why the ZIP still contains these swf+pdf files since my publishing options only allow for hmtl5 and dont even give me any options. I can't find anything on the Adobe Tutorials here. When I upload it to Moodle, it always starts up with the flash file and I don't find a way to tell Moodle which file to open up. When I delete the .swf and the .pdf file it wont start up anymore. As a different option I can implement it into Moodle as a File/URL but then the LMS doesn't work anymore.

Here my second questions is how to implement it the correct way into moodle. I can get it to work with the lms only via the flash file which is quite a big file in total. I wonder wether the problem is on some Captivate options or on the moodle side of things. I double checked both options and couldn't find anything on the forums as well. The E-Learning project was originally a blank project and converted into a responsive project in a later stage.

2) Secondly, for unkown reasons, my preview in html (full project) as well as the uploaded published version only displays/works with slides 1-10 and the other slides (35+) are not clickable or can be displayed or previewed since yesterday. I am not aware of any changes I made in the options or why this could suddenly be happening. Does anyone have an Idea on how to fix this?

Thanks so much and a good day to you!

Greetings Matthias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Oh no! Did you use the convert to responsive, and set up fluid boxes? That conversion is not at all automatic, you need to verify all the master slides, the sldies to see if the setup is working fine. Just 'save as responsive' is a marketing hype.  At the first release of CP2017 I have explored that functionality, and sorry to say, found it totally useless.. Only very simple projects will have some valid conversion, none of imine did. It was quicker to restart from scratch, using the Library fro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can yoyu show the Putlish settings? Since you still see the multiscreen.html file, I suspect you are publishing both to SWF and to HTML. That is not working very well at this moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!adobe publish options.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that was a bad question, because responsive projects always publish to HTML. I was confused because you mentioned that there was SWF and multiscreen i the folder, which seems very weird, but will check to be sure. Will be later, not immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one small update: I just found out that the old data save file bevore the conversion to responsive works just fine. I am able to publish the output html only and the output is just that. Also it works just fine when uploading it to moodle.

Now I just wonder:

1) how that is it possible that the new "saved as responsive" file does work so strangly?
2) how can I copy some of my work (objects and so on) into the working file and save some time? (I fear you might say it won't work)

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no! Did you use the convert to responsive, and set up fluid boxes? That conversion is not at all automatic, you need to verify all the master slides, the sldies to see if the setup is working fine. Just 'save as responsive' is a marketing hype.  At the first release of CP2017 I have explored that functionality, and sorry to say, found it totally useless.. Only very simple projects will have some valid conversion, none of imine did. It was quicker to restart from scratch, using the Library from the original file as External Library.

Maybe you understood already: copying from a non-responsive project to a responsive project with fluid boxes is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lieve,

well the damage is controllable, still some hours of work lost. Good to know that the convert doesn't work properly. I'll be sure to keep my hands away from this one, since you cannot revert the changes nor control publish output or error for example.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may seem arrogant, but you cannot find a dedicated post ion my blog about converting a non-responsive project to a responsive project. You now understand why: it was NEVER successful when I tried it out. As I mentioned: only for very simple projects this could be fine. Fluid Boxes are a great way to have a responsive project but it has so many limitations: no objects timed for the rest of the project, no objects on the main master slide, no line object, no stacking of objects in the same location even when they don't appear at the same time, no objects added to states in a multistate object, no grouping, no Zoom object, no highlight boxes, no click boxes....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what would you recommend? I also prefer all the limitless options you mention and dont like fluid boxes that much.
Do you use normal and publish to html only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you could have a look at my comparison in this blog post:

Fluid Boxes Or Breakpoint Views? - Captivate blog

Up till now, only in rare cases clients did ask for fully responsive projects. In that case to keep all the functionality you should go with Breakpoint views, but know that the development takes much longer. In the majority of my jobs I use rescalable HTML output, a non-responsive project. Or if a course will only be viewed on smartphones I will develop with those in mind.

I have several workarounds on my blog as well for th Fluid Boxes projects, but not for all the limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks more like a Responsive project, which would NOT be including any SWF.  So is it possible this project originally started out as a normal one that could be published to either SWF or HTML5 and then got converted to Responsive?  If so, it might be that your publish folder still contains older files from previous publishing.  Try deleting all of the contents in the publish folder and then publish again.  My gut feeling is that then you won't see any multiscreen.html files.

By the way, Moodle doesn't force you to use SWF.  It should be able to accept HTML5 SCORM content as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lieve and Rod.

Indeed as I wrote it was previously not responsive and then converted into one. I did publish the project around 20x times by now, and still get these wierd outputs. Am I able to delete the swf and pdf output after publishing it? If yes, what would be key so that moodle can only choose the index.scorm.html file?

My fear is that somehow this file is corrupted, while getting this second issue again where the preview wont work on more that 10 slides which is very strange as well and only happening since yesterday. Is there a possibility to copy slides to a new responsive project?

Greetings Matthias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources