Highlighted

Scorm module does not load in Internet Explorer

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Our software application displays scorm content via web browsers. A user of our software has created scorm modules via Adobe Captivate 9. When viewed in any browser other than Internet Explorer version 9 - 11, the content appears ok and is fully functional. Strangely, the same exact content (ie, same zip file) that is uploaded to scormcloud.com is fully functional in all browsers including Internet Explorer version 9 - 11.

The furthest I got while debugging is discovering there is a different type of JavaScript object for the top.opener property when viewed in IE9 - 11, specifically, a dispHTMLWindow2 object. I think the type of this object causes a different execution path to be followed in IE. I do not know if this is related to the source of the bug or a red herring as I could not get any further in debugging.

Is this an issue that you have encountered before? Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

Nick

Topics

Editing, Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Scorm module does not load in Internet Explorer

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Our software application displays scorm content via web browsers. A user of our software has created scorm modules via Adobe Captivate 9. When viewed in any browser other than Internet Explorer version 9 - 11, the content appears ok and is fully functional. Strangely, the same exact content (ie, same zip file) that is uploaded to scormcloud.com is fully functional in all browsers including Internet Explorer version 9 - 11.

The furthest I got while debugging is discovering there is a different type of JavaScript object for the top.opener property when viewed in IE9 - 11, specifically, a dispHTMLWindow2 object. I think the type of this object causes a different execution path to be followed in IE. I do not know if this is related to the source of the bug or a red herring as I could not get any further in debugging.

Is this an issue that you have encountered before? Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

Nick

Topics

Editing, Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just googled a little bit for that old IE9 and quickly could see that it is a very bad HTML5 student. Why it works on SCORM Cloud is a mystery...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your SCORM modules hosted on a web server or are the users running them locally? IE has some security settings that will block some JS and ActiveX scripts when trying to run them locally. Chrome and Firefox don't have this setting. 

Also, keep in mind that Microsoft end-of-lifed IE 9 and 10 in 2016. This means they no longer get security updates and could open your network up to infection.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, IE9 is too old. Insist on dropping support. If nothing else, because it does not support HTML5 properly, if at all, which means you'll have to publish your content as SWF, which isn't supported by most browsers either...

Delivering to IE9 is just not a good idea these days.

That said, if you don't have a choice, look into 'compatibility mode'. I forget the exact issue, but back with IE9...some LMS products had an issue if they were...or were not...running in compatibility mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked with the poster to solve this issue.

It was down to how IE 9-11 handles SVGs. To load an SVG IE makes several GET requests and one HEAD request.

The system was blocking this HEAD request and returning a 404. The Scorm's JS was waiting for a successful response from the server which it never got. This caused it to just hang and not load any content.

We updated the system to allow both GET and HEAD requests to the endpoint loading the Scorm content.

Hope this helps anybody with a similar issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines