Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uploading HTML 5 or SWF file to Canvas LMS

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How can one upload an HTML or SWF file to Canvas LMS? I checked the thread at: Re: HTML5 Content Won't Load Inside Canvas LMS  and I can't find an answer. 

Thank you in advance for any help,

Alex

TOPICS
Audio and video , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know that LMS, but did you create a SCORM file? That means that you have turned on Reproting under Quiz Preferences and set up the Reporting.  Whane publishedn either to SWF or toe HTML, a zipped folder will be created which has all the necessary files for a SCORM object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Lilybiri and KyleKCInstruction.

To answer Lilybiri question, I usually export the project (clicking on both the SWF and HTML5 options) into a zip folder.  When I upload to Canvas, it unzips it and put it in a "files" folder.   It's then up to me to move the correct file (i.e. index.html or ###.swf into the a "Content" page.  When I do that, I always get an error.

I think the problem is as KyleKCInstruction explain.  I may not have the correct admin rights or the system is not set-up to accept SCORM content.  I'll contact my admin and see if they can help.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not be 'moving' the index.html file to any different folder location.  The links in this file are relative links that point to content or files in other folders inside the SCORM package.  If you move the index.html file you will break the links.  I've never seen a SCORM-compliant LMS work this way.

Are you sure that what you mean is that you are just setting up a hyperlink on the content page that is pointing to the index.html file?  That would make more sense. 

If your LMS allows you to set up courses where the content is uploaded into folders allocated to that course, then this content doesn't necessarily need to be SCORM.  (Moodle for example allows you to do this.  Courses may contain any number of different types of content as well as SCORM modules.  But only the SCORM modules will usually be tracked by the LMS for pass/fail and completion.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the most recent release on CP9 I had issues with publishing to both SWF and HTML, probably due to the increase in differences for both output. The multiscreen.html file is not working as expected. Normally you don't have an index.html in that case, I don't understand why you should get it? Please, publish separately to SWF (if you still need for a short time) and HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexa,

You cannot upload SCORM packages directly into Canvas without making some adjustments to your account. You would need to be a Canvas administrator in order to make the proper changes.

If you are an admin, the document below from the Canvas community can help walk you through that process.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10312-4152340211

Another option that I have never seen tried, would be to host the course somewhere else that would allow you to embed the HTML5 content into the Canvas Rich Content Editor. I don't know where else you could host the course. Maybe that is another good question for the community here... "Where can I host a Captivate course that allows me to embed the course on another page?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Previous replies covered most of this. In sum:

Canvas's SCORM support is minimal. It might work, or it won't. It does have to be enabled by your LMS Admin.

Rustici has a SCORM 'App' for Canvas, but it's not much better, largely due to Canvas's older LTI support.

You can only add SCORM projects to Canvas as Assignments.

If you don't need SCORM, sometimes uploading the .zip to 'Files', then pointing a link to the HTML file (don't move it!), will work - launching the HTML file in a framed window. Not a great experience but I've gotten that to work.

(while you're editing a page in Canvas, you should be able to click the index.html file in the Files section, which should then appear as a link in the editable area...but that may be dependent on your Canvas setup).

If it doesn't work for you, yes, you can host the published CP piece elsewhere...if you have a webserver elsewhere to use. One major note is, if your Canvas LMS is running under HTTPS, then your alt-hosting website ALSO needs to be running under HTTPS.

If you have such a setup, at worst you can link out to that other website and launch the CP project in a new window.

You can try to iframe it in the Canvas lesson page, but that depends on 1) your ability to code iframe, 2) if your Canvas setup allows it, and 3) iframes don't resize well within Canvas by default...but some custom code may help that (websearch!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources