• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web object formatting not displaying as created

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has been asked, but I have been unable to find it in the search.

I need to have a distinctly formatted bulleted list in place as scrolling text due to space limitations. I am planning to accomplish this by creating the list in Word, saving it as a web page, and inserting a web object into the project.

The problem is that the formatting of the web page is not appearing as it is created.  Specifically, the bullets are appearing as dashes and quotation marks are appearing as an icon with a question mark inside.

Additionally, the incorrect formatting appears differently inside Captivate using an HTML5 preview than it does when published and uploaded to our server and run from there. Initially I thought it was possibly an issue with using a specific font and perhaps the browser didn't recognize it, but the issue continued when I changed to Times New Roman.

I suspect that this is probably not actually a Captivate issue, but I figure someone here might have at least run into this already and know a workaround.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a MS fan neither, especially fomratting can cause lot of problems when used in other applications. Could you not replace the Word document by a pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very much learning this stuff as I go.  I need it to be scrollable and was under the impression that it had to be formatted as HTML in order for that to function, so I made the list in Word and just saved it as a web page, then packaged that up and inserted it as a web object in Captivate.  If I save and insert it as a PDF instead of a web object, is it still scrollable or does it scale like an image?

Also, where is the option to insert a PDF located?  I cannot seem to find it.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it work for you to have some sort of a  "faux"  scrolling action for your text?

What if you made segments of your document as states and used custom  up/down  buttons to "scroll" through the various states and eventually see all the material?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could definitely do that, it just adds to the complexity.  If I can accomplish it by adding a single object instead of multiple, I would prefer to do that.  If not, I will default back to your solution, but as I said, i am learning as I go and would like to figure out why things are happening so I understand how they work before I move on and do it another way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I concur with formatting issues related to MS Word. Even the simple act of copy / paste of some text can reveal a whole host of what I will call "background code" that can piggy back along and muck things up. It would be my guess that it is this "background code" that is not able to successfully be translated for some aspects of your document. Hard to tell for sure without more experimentation.

Could you use the same web object and point it to a PDF that you have online?

Or make a button to open a file with a simple action and point to the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources