Highlighted

What is causing Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND in Chrome

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an html 5 scalable course made with captivate 9. It runs fine unless I run it from my hard drive in Google Chrome then it gets stuck loading and when I check the developers console there is a lot of errors: Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. I can run it locally with IE or Firefox and have no problems. Also if I run it from network with Google Chrome I have no issues, only when run locally. I need a local version so I need to find a solution. Thanks in advance for any help.

Topics

Editing, Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What is causing Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND in Chrome

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an html 5 scalable course made with captivate 9. It runs fine unless I run it from my hard drive in Google Chrome then it gets stuck loading and when I check the developers console there is a lot of errors: Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND. I can run it locally with IE or Firefox and have no problems. Also if I run it from network with Google Chrome I have no issues, only when run locally. I need a local version so I need to find a solution. Thanks in advance for any help.

Topics

Editing, Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found an answer to this problem? I am also having this issue. It seems to be something related to Chrome and something locally installed on my machine. However, I'm not sure how to get past it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I never found a solution. Thank goodness my customer requirement was only IE and Firefox, but I know this will eventually change. My customer requires a local solution but wants HTML5 so I have run into "local" issues. I hope someone can shed some light on this. I started trying to track it in the developers panel when running through Chrome, it seemed to me like it might have have been an issue with how the browser loads the page and somethings were not available yet, because if I hit refresh it usually loads fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will almost surely run into issues with a 'run HTML content locally' requirement. There are a variety of things, largely JS-related, that browsers lock-down for whatever security reason. This likely isn't a CP issue but a browser security issue.

Best to try to educate your customer that 'running locally as HTML' is not a good solution.

Alternatives may be:

1. Publish your piece as an .exe

2. Suggest the customer install an internal webserver for his users, if the scenario fits

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out why this happens. It only happens in Chrome and Edge. I really need to be able to run html5 locally. I even tried using ELECTRON to make a shell it works great to play HTML5 on desktop, EXCEPT when that HTML5 is from CAPTIVATE. I really need to figure out something. The exact error is failure to load resource: net:: ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND then goes through all the .png files that captivate creates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's having trouble finding all the PNG files in the HTML5 content, the reason is usually that your web environment is not serving the JSON mimetype.  You need your local web server to allow JSON files because these actually deliver the PNG graphics.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using a local server, I just used electron to create standalone desktop that runs html5 and the captivate files still throw errors with preloading. I am so disappointed in captivate. I have a course, that runs fine locally in firefox and IE but breaks in Edge and Chrome. I know they say html5 export is not to run locally, but I ask why not? My customer wants LMS version and cd version and wants HTML5. I know it is something in the CPXHRLoader.js that is breaking. Has anyone figured out a solution to fix this? Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the issue is probably connected with the fact that the environment you are currently using to try and run the HTML5 content is not close enough to a true web server environment.

As a test, upload the same content to an actual web server and test it from there.  If you don't see the error then the issue is your environment.

Each web browser has different limitations on what security it imposes on web content running locally.  That's why some browsers will allow you to run HTML5 content locally while others will not.  And those settings can often vary from one user to another, which makes the process of trying to deliver HTML5 content from anything other than a true web server entirely impractical.  You'll just run into far too many issues.

Many clients tend to demand things that are not practical.  You just have to tell them they can't always have what they want.  (I think there's a song about that issue...)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes that is easier said then done. However, I did find a software call ExeOutput for PHP 2.1 that I allows you to make desktop executable to run php and html. My first test run seemed to work, but going to do more testing today to see if it is a viable solution. I have seen several open source projects where people are developing frameworks to run html5 in standalone desktop. I hope Adobe is researching the idea of  an exe shell to run html5. Although, I am very hopeful that ExeOutput for PHP will do what I need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is an EXE it's probably just creating a sawn-off web server running PHP within an executable shell and running the HTML5 content within that web server.

However, if you're distributing an EXE anyway, then you might as well just publish straight to EXE from Captivate. (This would NOT allow you to do responsive projects.)

Publishing to EXE and trying to distribute that to end users can also get you into trouble because many antivirus apps see anything that is EXE as being a potential virus.  And in many corporate environments, end users may be forbidden to run EXE files because their permissions do not allow it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have considered that, this course is 50 separate lessons that I was tracking user, completion, and test availability  with local storage or cookies with a common login and menu to launch each item (in the standalone version). So would be rework to change coding for swf executable to track progress , plus their is also a scorm lms delivery so was trying to limit the number of changes required between the two versions. Plus my customer specifically does not want swfs. This is not a responsive project, it is lots of software simulation so responsive was not necessary. It is scalable html5. My dream was to just launch standalone version in browser, but EDGE and CHROME prevent that, so now will have to deal with the mentioned EXE issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am back to square one with this, my customer can't run exe on computer so I am back to needing to run html5 locally. I have been on the phone with Adobe, there solution so far is to click refresh button...not going to fly. Has anyone found why the html5 sporadically breaks in Chrome and Edge?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML5 is supposed to run in an HTTP environment, a web server.  An LMS is also a web server.

The reason your HTML5 content is not working when your users try to run it locally or from a network location is likely to be due to the security settings currently in effect on web browsers used in your company.

You're in for a rough and frustrating ride if you intend to persist with trying to get HTML5 to behave when it's not being played from within a true web environment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I guess I should have built my course from scratch with html so I could have controlled what javascript and jquery was used. So much for rapid development. Lots of customers want a web and cd version, that has been the standard with our customers for a very long time. I have 50 plus lessons built in captivate and they are pretty much junk now. Captivate needs to specifically document this fact when selling it as an elearning solution. I understand what you are saying, but the error is very inconsistent which is making me think there is some bug in their .js files. Thanks for your time, I have an angry customer and back at square one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your courses were previously Flash-based output, a single module course might have worked OK from a CD-ROM, but you would have run into some issues with Flash Global Security interfering with playback of multi-module SWF course content delivered from a CD-ROM.  To work around this issue when I created CD-ROM courses with Captivate years ago I had to use an HTML page as the menu for course modules rather than use another Captivate module, otherwise the linkages would fail. 

CD-ROM-based courses WERE a standard at one time, yes.  But they're not really all that popular right now due to the demise of anything Flash.  For several years now the world has been moving to web-based delivery standards (predominantly HTML5), and that has especially been the case since mobile devices came to power.  (Try getting one of those things to play your CD-ROM course!)

As you say, there MAY possibly be some incompatibility with Captivate's JS code with certain browsers.  But in my experience the inconsistencies that people report are more likely to be due to trying to run HTML5 content locally in the plethora of different web browsers and security variations that are now in force.  It's a minefield, especially in the corporate arena where it's very common to find that the corporate SOE runs a sawn-off high-security version of Internet Explorer or MS Edge.

The new 'standard' now is HTML5 delivered from a web server so that anyone from desktop to mobile devices can view the same content.  It may not be what EVERYBODY wants, but that's progress for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a solution for this problem. I Know that this post is from 2017, but this issue it's been giving us a lot of headache for a while. Here's the solution:

On the index.html file, add a set setTimeout Function to the cpXHRJSLoader of the CPM.js file. It gives the tieme so the browser can load all the info correctly:

setTimeout(function(){

cpXHRJSLoader.js(lJSFiles,function()
{
//console.log("js loaded");

// MORE CODE

});
}, 500);

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. The setTimeout solution worked for me. 

My problem was a webrtc blob not playing everytime. It worked only sometimes. The timeout seemed to solve the problem. 

There may be a better way to do this with a promise, but the timeout seems to be fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Captivate User Guide
New Group