• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto random movement

Engaged ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what to title this topic as, but here we go.

Is there any cheat/hack/tricks in Ch to achieve that random head movement like when South Park character is speaking. Up and down, left and right, as well as some slight rotations. It's just way too much of work to do it using keyframes. Perhaps there is a behavior we can use or a combination of them?

Thanks!

TOPICS
FAQ , Feature requests , How to , Puppet movement , Rigging , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Well don't forget that those movements in South Park aren't random. An animator keyframed them all. What you might be looking for is just a lower frame rate then. Try doing some random head movements with a scene that has a lower frame rate like 12 fps. You can change this at any time, so you can see the same facial tracking applied to a character at say, 60, for a really smooth movement, or 12 for a more stuttered movement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just moving you head around and recording that for a few seconds? You could create a replay from it afterwards.

You could also experiment (never tried this!) by changing the frame rate of the scene (e.g. halve or quarter it) and record a longer sequence, then set the frame rate back to the right value and try playing it back. Hopefully it will play back at double speed - faster than your head can move in real life. Record a nice long recording since it will get shorter. You could also try recording adjustments to the head sensitivity settings (e.g. so head forward/back zooms more, or small head movements move the puppet more) - if you cannot shake your head around enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my long response

Thanks for responding Alank!

I know the face behavior using webcam is possible, but moving your head all the time makes dizziness. Also the movement is smooth, unlike in South Park.

Maybe I can try your suggestion on frame rate.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reduce the smooth movement when using face tracking enable the Pose-to-pose setting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-3ybJVzTYg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! Thanks for responding.

Yeah, I know pose to pose option. I have tried and experiment with it, but, it's not as expected. It's too jaggy and laggy. In South Park it is pose to pose, but super fast. I don't know how to explain better. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried reducing the Minimum Pose Duration? That and the smoothing parameter all work together with the actual pose-to-pose parameter. I believe Dave has a longer video online showing the feature in more detail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I tried up to 0,1 sec. and it's still not as expected. Any other possible fix? Other than manual keyframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well don't forget that those movements in South Park aren't random. An animator keyframed them all. What you might be looking for is just a lower frame rate then. Try doing some random head movements with a scene that has a lower frame rate like 12 fps. You can change this at any time, so you can see the same facial tracking applied to a character at say, 60, for a really smooth movement, or 12 for a more stuttered movement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

That might be it, a manual keyframe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines