Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character Animator Not Recording & Playhead Not Moving

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently tried to record some walking animations and for whatever reason it isn't recording.  I have the puppet selected in the timeline and the behavior is armed, but as soon as I hit record, the puppet freezes. I thought there must have been an error with my puppet and upload an example puppet, Evan, and it still isn't recording. Also on a side note when I hit the play button, the playhead does not move. Is there a bug with my program? Please advise.

TOPICS
Bugs , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Update - looks like it was related to my Audio Hardware Setting (which was set to NDI but no NDI stream was actively sent when I hit the Record button). Changing the Default Input to another microphone solved it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - first things that come to mind are

1) is the "Scene" panel open?

2) is the Camera Input button on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Scene Panel is open and I have tried to record with the Camera Input button on and off, but again it still won't record nor will the playhead move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this seems really weird. Could you post a screenshot of your Character Animator > Preferences > Audio Hardware? And what webcam are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I'm facing the same problem!
Could anybody solve this issue already?

I personally didn't create a face to animate for my character, might this be a problem aswell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of the example characters from the Start panel record for you? Is it just your faceless one that isn't working or all of them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. I got this after I imported a 10 min sound file that i synced. After I did that this happened a few times. It disappeared after I took a restart (refresh did not help.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same Problem! The playhead doesn't move and I am not able to play or record something. I already tried to use example characters, but it doesn't Work.

If I try to play the "First steps " project from the start Screen, it doesn't work either (also record doesn't work ).

These Problems only appear on my laptop  with Windows 10. With the older one with Windows 8 Everything Works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Started 2-3 days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - looks like it was related to my Audio Hardware Setting (which was set to NDI but no NDI stream was actively sent when I hit the Record button). Changing the Default Input to another microphone solved it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It fixed my problem as well, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. CA has always worked in the past. Now all normal functions working but as soon as the record button is pressed the puppet freezes. this happens with the CA downloadable puppets not just my own. I have uninstalled and re installed CA to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed!:

First noticed the Start Here! wouldn't play. I never tried to record the example puppets. Created a puppets and everything worked but when I hit record it froze. Simply uninstalled and reinstalled the Character Animator App and was up and running in under a minute!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I tried uninstall/reinstall with no luck. I noticed the playhead will start to work when I connected to my bluetooth headphones, however, now I am not hearing any audio. I checked audio hardware which says I am connected to the headphones, so Im not sure why nothing is coming through. I try going to default options and disconnecting bluetooth which somehow disables the playback yet again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX

I'm not sure if you found your answers or not, but I had the same issue and I discovered that it happens when I change the input/output device (for example connecting my bluetooth headset). I was able to solve this issue by going to "Preferences" and manually changing the "Default Input" and "Default Output" to my bluetooth headset.

Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution solved it for me! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that. You saved me from who knows how much agrevation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That dang NDI! Thank you for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread but I am having the same problem.  I can't get my puppet, nor any of the CA puppets to record.  I hit record, the countdown starts, the red radio  record button lights up but the play head just stays there.  Oddly enough, I got the same puppet with the same poject to run yesterday.  I'm sure I'm doing something stupid but I don't know what.  I followed the threads here but found nothing to help me.  I'm using limb ik on my puppet and am reluctant to start from scratch again.  The current video tutorial on it is wonderful but a tad difficult to follow. Thanking anyone in advance.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had a quick scare with this issue.

The response from "mahae46185803" helped me fix it. For my case, I'm not sure what happened but it had something to do with the Default Input/Output setting. Some recent hardware changes may have caused it. Try checking Edit>Preferences and update the settings. You may need to do a trial and error to see which fixes your problem.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sir ji my character animator timeline not recorded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultjasztemsl6nh Have successfully done a recording before? For my case, the issue was fixed when I changed the "Default Input" setting.

- Go to "Edit>Preferences".

- See "Default Input"

- Click the dropdown and try to change the setting. "No Input" works for me

- Test which setting fixes the issue for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I just upgraded to a new laptop, and set the default hardware recording option to "No Input."

It worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines