Exit

Character head/body not moving

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aprilm27975229_0-1658773396750.png

aprilm27975229_1-1658773639631.png

I have a character that's seated at a desk here and I can't get her head and torso to move, no matter what. I've experimented with turning layer independence on/off to no avail. Combos include: body/head both dependent, body dependent/head independent, body and head both independent. Also toggled attach styles of head and body layers to various types and this also doesn't seem to have any effect. I made the desk and chair layers independent and set to the "free" attach style, as I didn't want these to be considered as part of the main character puppet. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. This file has me totally stumped. Thanks, all! 

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

I assume you tried another character and it does move? Just checking you don't have a camera fault or something.

There is "how to get movement right" and "nothing is moving at all". Ignoring the former first, I would suggest having a look at the Face behavior (usually on the root of the puppet). Expand the Handles and Views etc sections. It shows the layers it identified in the puppet. These are what it will move in response to the camera. For example, you should find "Head" in the list of handl

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you tried another character and it does move? Just checking you don't have a camera fault or something.

There is "how to get movement right" and "nothing is moving at all". Ignoring the former first, I would suggest having a look at the Face behavior (usually on the root of the puppet). Expand the Handles and Views etc sections. It shows the layers it identified in the puppet. These are what it will move in response to the camera. For example, you should find "Head" in the list of handles. Did it find your head layer? If not, that is where to focus (my first guess).

Another thing you can do is find the Head handle (click on the Head layer in the hierarchy to identify the "origin" marker for Head) then add a "Dragger" tag to it in the tags in the property panel. (I click on the "A" button so it shows textual names for all the handles instead of the puppet outline.) Once you have a dragger on the head, can you move it with the mouse? Or is it stuck that way as well? The Face behavior uses software to drag the Head origin marker around. I *expect* the dragger to work, but if it doesn't that opens up a new set of questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Your hunch about the face behaviour was accurate. I'm not sure how it happened, but the head was not tagged as a handle under the behaviour. I corrected this error and head is now moving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines