• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Character with Tail Cycle and some 'expressions'

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a character with an animated tail (similar to the cat example) and I want to have the tail cycle playing all the time.  It works and works well.  The tail has some 'expressions' that I want to assign midi triggers to, but I have trouble understanding how to do that.  I would need to effectively hide the entire tail movement cycle, and show the expressive pose, and then the key is released, start the animation again (at any place in the cycle, at some point later maybe favoring a side). 

I have been trying to figure out the layer set up in photoshop to make this work, but I am confused as to the right way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

setup_a.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

As soon as you want different versions of the tail, where one or another is displayed, I immediately think “trigger swap set”. So i think you want a layer (like your “Head” and “Body”, called say “Tail”, then under that move your current tail (with cycle layers behavior) plus the alternative tail groups (each with its own cycle layer behavior). You then create a swap set from “Tail” where the default tail animation you can make the default and the other expression tails you can define trigger ke

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as you want different versions of the tail, where one or another is displayed, I immediately think “trigger swap set”. So i think you want a layer (like your “Head” and “Body”, called say “Tail”, then under that move your current tail (with cycle layers behavior) plus the alternative tail groups (each with its own cycle layer behavior). You then create a swap set from “Tail” where the default tail animation you can make the default and the other expression tails you can define trigger keys (or midi notes) for.

So you need to introduce another level of layers for the swapset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  That worked really well.  In PS, I set up the layers just as you suggested and in CA, I was able to make a group of the tail, add a swap, make the tail wagging default and always on (trigger on release on the behavior) and it is working like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines