• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Double images after editing source file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Character Animator, if I have a puppet loaded and then edit the source file in Photoshop, the edited layers are doubled in CA. Even closing and reopening the project doesn't help. What to do??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Yes, it's unsure which version (the grouped layer or the original) you wanted to keep, so re-adds the original just in case. Ideally, grouping changes would be done in the artwork file in Photoshop so that any rigging updates are retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think I figured it out.... if I group a layer in Character Animator and then modify that layer in Photoshop, CA seems to add another instance of that layer, ungrouped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's unsure which version (the grouped layer or the original) you wanted to keep, so re-adds the original just in case. Ideally, grouping changes would be done in the artwork file in Photoshop so that any rigging updates are retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, thanks. I reckon after I've worked with CA more, I'll be better at planning what and how to group before importing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, it might also be nice if CA would just update my changes without muss or fuss, like After Effects...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So always prefer the changes in the artwork file, and remove any conflicting changes done in the Puppet panel (including any behaviors you added or recordings done for them)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I am doing now.... I do think it would be a good feature if CA at least had the option to just automatically update the layer or group, so I wouldn't lose the behaviors I've assigned. But I can live with it as is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff,

I am having the same problem with editing art files and it pretty much makes it impossible to make advanced rigs and build them up over time without having to add all the complex behaviors back every time I add something new to my puppet. I had this same problem back in the prerelease and beta. 

It would be great to be able to make an art file of just a characters head, import that, make into a sharable puppet, repeat with body and add to masterr puppet to keep comple file sizes and layer complexity to a more reduced level.

I personally would love to be able to build a separate Illustrator file, and "subpuppets" for 

1. Head

2. Arms

3. Body

I currently can do this now and it works amazingly, however editing source art files duplicates layers, removes behaviors, and all sorts of issues.

I believe finding a way to achieve this will take the software to an higher level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines