Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand Poses

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
When creating hands, what ever the pose wanted, it's important to keep track if the hands if the fingers or palm is forward, or if the back of the hand is forward. Right? Can the angle of flex be controlled arm movement?
Thanks

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think hand being shown can be changed from the position of the arm - you have to do that yourself. (The closest thing that comes to mind is the IK Arm behavior can change the way the elbow flexes based on angle, which looks more natural.)

Off topic, but I had fun hooking up a VR headset hand controller to CH via MIDI events. What I did for that is use the angle the controller was being held to change the swapset to show front or rear hand positions. Looks pretty good, but it was a pain having the whole VR setup in the room just to control the hands - so I just went back to using triggers on the computer keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for note, you probably saved me grief. I was considering the MIDI route for my hand poses. Could I ask, how many poses you using with MIDI? My project will have 53 hand poses. Have tried to think of every possible pose I would ever need. I enjoy the planning and figuring out every trigger, cycle trigger, replays. 

'Have great day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

53!!!! For the VR controller project I had open/closed/pointing hands for 4 directions (palm, back of hand, etc) and i considered that a lot compared to what i normally do. I normally just have like 5 and use keyboard numbers for the left and right hands. But i am not much of an artist. The reason for 4 angles with the vr controller was simply because i can rotate my hand and it looked best if the puppet hands moved with it. So it was a few hand positions at 4 rotation positions. i could have done 8, but i don't have the skill to draw them! lol!

for 53 hand positions i worry if you are going to be able to remember the, all. Eg a full size keyboard has 88 keys, you have two hands, so every key on the keyboard is giong to be a different gesture? How are you going to remember which one is which?? 5 i found hard to remember... 50 sounds near impossible to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good afternoon, thanks for the reply.

If I may, I would like to explain my project. I want to see if I am crazy, or just like a challenge. Every aspect of the project will be written out and used to reference production. I have no experience in digital design, Illustator drawing, or in working animations.  I just have a lot of time to use my mind. I have been trying to understand Adobe software  to design my own puppet and get it to work for almost 2 years. Given my age and physical limits I find the learning curve to be Mount Everest. I don't do well in snow.

I am just finishing the specifications for the project. 

Every item should be set up for keyboard, mouse or touch activity. New trigger style, cycle layers, key triggers, key frames, and replays. Every audio will be prerecorded and timed. The audio will produce scripted and timed head, eye, mouth, hand, arm movements, behaviors, expressions. Here are the beginning totals.

Puppet 1, Head turns 3, Hands 53, Lip sync mouths 10, Silent mouths 12, Blinks 4, Eyebrow movements 12, Actual readyy choreographed and recorded events 12.

All videos will be 30-6-90 seconds maximum. One the first puppet is complete, the additional's will be duplicated from the original. The amount of parts per puppet will be adjusted per session topic.

FYI If I ramble on it's that older people tend to. off topic, ask my body I'm 75, as my mind it's only 53

Have a good day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines