Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with long render times

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Right now my company is working on producing shorts using Ch, but we're facing horrendous render times. The segments are generally no more than a couple of minutes each, but each render is taking multiple hours. While that isn't back breaking, it is inconvient, as our turnaround is weekly, and we need to look at passes. I feel like other adobe programs such as Animate, or even programs like Toon Boom Harmony don't face these sort of export times, so it could very well be cause by something like the heavy rig were using, or large BGs, or something along those lines.  If anyone has faced similar export times I'd be interested to know if you've found out what's causing this.

The second part of my question is if anyone would have hardware upgrade suggestions. My boss feels like upgrading the CPU would yeild better results but I'm not tech savvy so I can't say. I don't have access to the specs that we're using for our PC, but plan on posting a screen shot of those come tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

-Paul

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Y'know, I didn't read your specs properly. Yes, your processor is from 2012, a new computer will make this process significantly faster. I'd also get 32 GB of RAM and a decent, but not super expensive GPU. SSDs are faster to work off of than HDDs. A good setup is to have a fast SSD for your OS and applications, another fast SSD for your project files, then a spinning HDD that's larger, but slower for archiving or backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution of the artwork makes a big difference to the render times. You need it good enough resolution to be able to zoom in without it looking pixelated (e.g. zoom in on face). So you could try using lower res images.

Profiles, more layers, etc all add to the weight of the puppet. (Something's don't make much difference.) You can also experiment (if you have the time) with creating special purpose puppets. E.g. I don't use the walk behavior or head turner, so I leave that all out then create separate puppets for different angles. Or create a separate puppet for particular scenes rather than add too much to the one central puppet. It keeps them lighter weight. And I use multiple shorter scenes so I can render one scene at a time, and only have to rerender that one scene if something needs adjusting.

I have no idea why the render times are so long. It makes no sense to me really. We have games doing live 3D renders with shadows and lighting - much more computationally intense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Alan!

Even though we're still working through it the insight helps. I doubt we can afford to streamline the rig at this point, so we'll have to try to buff the computer, but we'll keep this stuff in ming for the future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

specs.png

Here are the specs for the computer were using, if there are any obvious upgrades needed please let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is now over 3 years old, but those specifications look pretty good to me. If that laptop was not adequate three years ago, the Character Animator "Minimum Requirements" page definitely needs to be updated. I can't use the Body Tracking feature due to system lag--even though my laptop meets the minimum requirements. 

We need a "Minimum Requirements" update that is more specific, that ensures all feature functionality will work, and the publishing won't take forever.

https://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-character-animator/system-requirements.html

I have to justify a request for an upgraded laptop, and that page isn't specific enough to provide the specifications I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, check your headset. Bluetooth devices create a great deal of system lag when in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a response.

I am not using any bluetooth/wireless device on the laptop: mouse, keyboard, or headset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I am currently exporting a 69 second video to MP4 at medium quality.

It says it is going to take 2 hours and 30 minutes.

My laptop meets the minimum requirements posted on Adobe for Character Animator, but this is what my Task Manager tool indicates:

Tim27898261hm38_0-1677181273715.png

All I am asking, is that the minimum requirements page be updated to be more real world.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain how you're exporting? Are you exporting directly through Media Encoder, using the PNG/WAV option, or running these through Dynamic Link to After Effects or Premiere?

Can you give the frame size and frame rate of your comps? 

What's the general makeup of these comps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave!

The settings we're using through Media Encoder are thus:
Video - Audio Settings.jpg1080p Video02.jpg1080p Video01.jpg

I believe the frame size is 1920 x 1080, and the frame rate is 24FPS

The composition for the first scene is one character sandwiched between non-moving foreground and background elements. He has several multi-frame facial and arm animations and one physics based element whose properties are shared in all head poses (an up and down view) as to not interrupt the flow if it bobbing between main poses.

The composition for the second scene is that same character as a silhouette (head only) in front of a rigged BG that has opacity settings for the visemes so it becomes a different version of that same BG with each syllable.

EDIT: Only the second scene has multi hour renders, the first scene is somewhere between 0.5 - 1 hour)

Thanks Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because there are so many things in your rig that could affect the speed, try this first: Export to an intermediate format instead of H.264. Try exporting to ProRes 422 and see how long that takes. Then convert that to H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export using Apple ProRes didn't reduce the export time. The thought right now is to try a newer, higher end PC to hope that solves the issue; the scene might just be too big, and I'm not sure we're in a place to streamline atm. I'll try exporting at a much lower resolution as a solution to the need for pass notes.

Appreciate the suggenstion though, Dave!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Y'know, I didn't read your specs properly. Yes, your processor is from 2012, a new computer will make this process significantly faster. I'd also get 32 GB of RAM and a decent, but not super expensive GPU. SSDs are faster to work off of than HDDs. A good setup is to have a fast SSD for your OS and applications, another fast SSD for your project files, then a spinning HDD that's larger, but slower for archiving or backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, we'll do that!

Thanks very much for the advice all, it was a huge help!

-Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines