• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I record a Mono Audio Signal?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using my Apollo Twin interface to record audio into Character. When I select the interface, I'm not given any choice about recording a mono or stereo audio file. The recording defaults to stereo and my mic is set to the left channel. Upon playback, my audio appears (not suprisingly) in the left channel only. Is there any workaround for this?

My current workflow has me recording scratch audio into Character to get the animations and timing going, then rerecording into Audition based off of my scratch take, then importing that audio into Character so that it's in both channels.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the audio track in audition and merge into a mono audio file there? Not sure how to do it, but i am sure it's possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is possible, but it's a very complicated workaround. You have to open the recording from Character in Audition, after locating the file within the Finder or Windows directory. Files are named only after the time the take was recorded, so this can get complicated if you have many takes.  Once in Audition, copy the left channel to the right channel, then save it. Back in Character, you need to drag the edited audio file into a new track and align it with the original version of the clip you just edited. Then delete that original clip/track. Just note the waveform won't update, even after closing and reopening the session. It will, however, play on both left and right channels. Not ideal, and very time consuming, but it will work.

The new workaround I've discovered uses my Apollo Twin's I/O matrix. I can set Channels 1 and 2 within the IO Matrix to both look at Input 1 (where my mic is plugged in). If your audio interface has this type of control, this seems to be the best fix. I see no other way to change the Mono/Stereo state of audio channels within Character, either when recording or after the fact. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I thought in the past I did 'edit original' on Windows and saved the file for it to auto-reload, but just tried on Mac and yes it's pretty horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have the same problem with my audio interface. Is it possible that there are no additional options in character animator to fix that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines