• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer order and how to make a layer disappear the time of an animation and make it reappear then.

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have several problems in the Character Animator software, firstly I have a character who needs to have an arm so the shoulder is behind the beard, but the hands can go over the beard, I fixed the problem by making a copy of the arm, I erased a part on a layer and another part on the other layer, which causes me other problems. Since it is not possible to have all the animated arms to make the animations in the same file as the arms (by default) some of them need to be behind the body of others over the body and even certain to the middle. The arms (by default) do not disappear automatically when I activate the animation using a trigger, I tried to do cycles layers to make them disappear, but, either they disappear at the end of the animation and did not reappear, or the arm reappears before the end of the animation when you release the trigger. Is there a way to make something disappear with a given time after the trigger or any other solutions?

Is it normal that when I add (other animation) and return to character animator, some of the stuff that I had configured although they kept their configuration, does not work anymore as it should? ... especially the eyes tend to do this, I also have the body that moved very well and now there is deformation during the movement. I spend more time dealing with problems that have advanced in my work.

Tanks

Isabelle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you screen shot your layer order in PS/AI and also in how you have set up the rig etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop.jpgChA.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

demo.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great character!

For the arm appearing issues - this is tricky currently because we don't have a great front/back swap solution currently. Personally I would do some sort of timed trigger system where one trigger runs arm cycles in front and behind - and for the one you don't want to show, just make them blank frames/layers. So if the static arm is behind the beard/head but the moving one has a 3-frame animation, make two "raise" groups (one above, one below), each with 3 frames and cycle layers attached, and trigger them both with the same single trigger.

If you make major structural changes to your PSD/AI, CH can't always reconcile all the new stuff and you may lose rigging if it can't find the previous layers/groups. We're working on making this better but for now I'd save any intensive rigging until you feel the puppet structure is more or less done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, if anyone has reached this thread and is still looking for a solution I think I've found a nice work around - You can add a fader behavior to the underneath layer and set it to 0 duration. you can than add another trigger for the above layer and when calling both of those triggers (by simultaneously pressing both keyboards keys attached to them) you'll get the wanted result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case helpful, I think you can create multiple triggers for the same key (so you might not have to press 2 keys at the same time).

I also read something recently about "shareable" puppets which has not fully sunk in yet to be honest. But it seemed like you could get one puppet sharing the movement etc data from the other puppet. So you create two instances of the same puppet, then hide most parts of the one in front (except say the arms) and make opacity adjustments to make the "in front" arms appear and disappear at the right points. Character Animator then makes both puppets behave identically, so you cannot tell there are actually two puppet instances going on. But I have not tried it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use the same trigger on both layers, but the fader behavior works in a way that hides the layer until triggered. So if you're triggering both layers with the same trigger you will see both of them at the same time. With 2 triggers, you can have a fader layer underneath and latch it on, so that the first time you press it will appear, and the second time you press (along with the second trigger), you will have a good transition between both layers. I've Attached a resultpoc.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines