• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Leg Tracking Issues

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I can't get the legs to track on my puppet. Video and screenshots attached.

Here's what I've tried:

- Rigging the legs on thier individual layers -- tried both independent and not

- Rigging the legs together on the torso layer, or on the overall frontal view layer

- Checked that the handles are registering, and that the tracking points are checked on

- Unchecked pin to ground in limb IK

- I've downloaded and loaded an example puppet with leg tracking and it worked on my system to check if that was an issue for some reason

- Making draggable heels -- the mechanics of the legs work when dragged, but does not track

Any help is greatly appreciated, feel totally stuck. Thank you!

TOPICS
Puppet movement , Rigging

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the typical way to rig this would be what you tried before, where the legs are each independent and all the leg tags (toe, ankle, heel, knee) go on that layer group itself. An example of this working is Chloe on the homescreen - if you uncheck Initial Foot Pinning under Limb IK she should work as expected with body tracking. I would compare your rig to hers and see what happens.

It's also possible something with the different views is also conflicting with this - for example, I noticed 5 views and 4 head tags. I would try a copied version where you delete all of those in CH and see if it makes any difference.

If all else fails, please File > Export > Puppet, and upload/share your .puppet file (via Google Drive, Dropbox, Creative Cloud, etc.) here or via DM so we can take a closer look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting with a lot of details! Screenshots always help us.

1. Can you try the beta version of Character Animator and see if anything improves?

2. Can you get a screenshot with everything untwirled under Handles of Body behavior in rig mode like this screenshot?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 212217.png

My suspicion is similar to that of oksamurai - leg handles probably went into different views from other body parts. The latest beta version has an improvement in gathering handles in different views.

Sorry about the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Jun, you were right - I got DM'd the puppet and it works as expected in the Beta. So my advice would be to either download the CH Beta and use that, or wait until the bugfix gets into the next official shipping release (hopefully soon).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried out oksamurai's suggestions, but no luck. Checked out the Chloe puppet and found a few difference in where the handles were and how things were attached, so I tried changes based off that, but no luck.

Foot tracking works in the beta! Arms feel a little smoother as well. But every time I calibrate the character gets a bit distorted. My legs may have issues because in the puppet, they are bent-- but the body goes out of shape a little differently each time I calibrate and the left foot seems to get squashed. Can see it in the attached vid. Screencap of handles attached as well.

Thank you for all the help, it's much appreciated!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the screenshot, this really looks like a view tagging issue. I see the upper body tags went into the last view while lower body tags went into the second view.

You should be able to get the puppet to work on the current release version by making all body tags get picked up by the same view. I'll get your puppet from oksamurai so I can be more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK the minimum change you need to do to make it work on the current release version is:

1. Remove the "Frontal" tag from the "Head - Frontal" layer

Screenshot 2022-09-14 131531.png

2. Check "Left Heel" and "Right Heel" under Body > Tracked Handles 

Screenshot 2022-09-14 131633.png

The confusing part is how the system treats all "Frontal"-tagged layers as different, independent views. I'll remind the team to redesign this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, if you are OK with using the beta app, you may want to stick to it until we have another official release soon.

The beta app improves the body tracker retargeting, especially for a puppet like yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! The feet now work on the frontal view. And what I found is if I
disable the front view and put the head turner on my 1/8 and 1/4 view, the
feet will still work...

So frontal works w/ no head turns and no tags.

1/4 and 1/8 work together with head turner on and tags for 1/4 and profile.

But if I tag frontal view as 1/4 instead, then it no longer works. So maybe
it has something to do with how I set up the frontal layer. I'm going to
try and conform the 1/4 and 1/8 similar to the structure of the frontal
view to see if it will all work together.

Thanks for your help!

Personal information removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines